www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 6:14 pm 

On Jan 23-25 myself and two other racing buddies decided to ride the TransAmerica Trail (TAT) from I-65 in TN to I-40 in AR in prepreation for our summer TAT trip. I have rode the TAT as far as Moab but Mike Husband and Sean Delaney are new to adventure riding but not new to offroad at all. We have known each other for years through racing and we would be a good match as far as riding ability.

I am riding a 89 Transalp, Mike on the KLR650 and Sean on a XR600.

[SIZE="4"]Day 1 [/SIZE]

The temp was in the low 60's on friday but dropped to the low 30's for highs on saturday and sunday.
We started our ride on the bridge over I-65 just outside of Columbia TN.

It was basically all two lane twisties untill you cross the Natchez Trace Pkw but after that is where the fun starts. Right away you hit the famous slime covered creek crossing. Mike made it across with some fancy foot dabbing.

Sean was looking good untill the last 4' when like many others before us hit the deck! No harm done and he was back up in no time.

I picked an unconventional line to the right through the woods and went at an upstream angle. It worked as I kept it rubber side up but it was the slickest creek crossings I've ever rode!

I noticed something on a tree next to me and immediately recognized it from another TAT report from a couple years ago. Its Cannonshot's business card :D

The gravel roads that are in TN are phenomenal and those that skip the TN section because its mostly paved are really missing out on some great riding.

I just love the Ma and Pa type gas stations and deli's along the TAT!

There are some really nice houses along the TN river.

We reached the TN/MS state line just before dark.

Last edited by Jeff@TireBalls on January 31st, 2009, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 6:14 pm 

[SIZE="4"]Day 2[/SIZE]

We came out of the hotel room Saturday morning and were shocked to walk outside and see sleet on our bikes, it had dropped into the 20's over night but we were ready to get going. MS is 80% gravel and dirt so we knew it was going to be a great day!
It wasn't long at all untill we came across this.

I saw in a recent report were the writer said that they had to turn around because there was no way to get around this one. NOT!!!

The racers in us came out and quickly found a way through or should I say over this obstical.

Only on the TAT...

Lots of swamps in the MS section.

I knew exactly what this was as soon as I rounded the corner, the famous swamp crossing that never seems to be dry.

This crossing is much easier than it looks, it has gravel on the bottom.

Ofcoarse we had to play in it for a few minutes.

Is that Scott Summers? :eek1

The gravel and dirt in MS are endless! :clap

I wish that I had gotten the name of this gas station/deli, the owner was an older gentleman and very friendly. He has talked to just about every TAT rider that comes through.

Taking a break at a strip mine.

The levee's in western MS are a blast, we enjoyed taking the inside of the turns and using them as berms. :D

This is the official over night stop on the MS river, we weren't ready to stop even tho it was getting late.

Looking across the bridge at AR.

We didn't get any pics of AR as it was dark. The gravel in AR is very loose and much harder to ride in than what was in TN and MS. You have to be very carefull as the bike wants to wander around alot! Still it was great riding and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We finally reached I-40 at about 9:30 saturday evening and we all agreed that we would meet at this spot again in 6 months and ride to Moab or farther.

Last edited by Jeff@TireBalls on January 31st, 2009, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 6:15 pm 

[SIZE="4"]Day 3[/SIZE]

Sunday moring would once again be in the 20's but this morning would be a little fridged. We needed to ride 160 miles on the slap to the MidSouth Hare Scramble race that was in Michigan City. It was pretty cold but we made it in time for Sean to race in the event. A friend had brought his quad down for him. He ended up 2nd in the Vet A class. Not bad for someone who had just rode 760 miles the two days before. :clap  Mike and I would watch the first couple of laps then ride 3 hours back to Columbia in the dark to get to the truck. It was a great weekend of riding, who says you have to put the bikes away for the winter? :confused

And congrats to Mike as he became a grandpa at the ripe old age of 39 at 11:22 the next morning. :freaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 1:33 pm 

Outstanding ride & report.

Thanks for sharing that with us - wish I had access to that sort of off roading this side of the pond.

How much of the 760 miles was off road?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2009, 12:43 pm 

about 70% offroad

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 2:43 pm 

Another awesome TAT ride! thanks Jeff

the bike is looking nice!

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 6:19 am 

I'm thinking of taking my '89 Transalp on the TAT next year. Good idea? It has stock suspension, aggressive on/off road tires, a good skid plate, and aluminum panniers. I would probably add some auxiliary fuel containers. I also have a CRF250L but from what I've read, that may be too small. I'd rather take the Transalp anyway. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Tyler

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 10:07 am 

How did the Transalp perform? I have the same bike and am considering a trip on the TAT in 2018. Do you have stock suspension or were upgrades done? Any information/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 2:32 pm 

Looks like fun, can you elaborate on the cities to and from, total duration, mileage of your trip and when you meet in 6 moths what that leg of the journey will consist of? The reason I ask is my buddy and I want to do this but who has six weeks off in a row? It would have to be three - two trips or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 4:31 am 

Looks like you had a great adventure. Be sure to share the summer trip as well.