www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently June 23rd, 2017, 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windshield and buffeting
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 6:00 pm 

Just purchased a 1990 Transalp. It has the taller windshield about 15" and there is buffing at highway speeds. Any recommendations ? Does Laminar make a lip or anyone else make a wider or windshield that tilts back more. I am 5' 10" and can see right over this shield.

Thanks
bob Malina
California

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 3:46 pm 

Hi Bob.

I've got an '87 Transalp and I fitted a higher screen by a company in the UK called Skidmarx. Better than the stock screen which does little more than keep rain off the clocks. A better screen is made by a German firm called MCA (if I remember right) which is higher and has an adjustable spoiler at the top. Works quite well even for me at six feet two but wasn't cheap at over £90 (UK pounds). If you like I'll dig around and post a link here for you if I can remember where to find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 3:55 pm 

Hi Bob - again.

Dud info last post - it's an MRA screen - try this link.

http://www.bikehps.com/mra/

Neil.

Post subject: windscreen
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 9:23 pm 

I'll check if MRA is avaialble in U.S. That looks like a good design with the adjustable spoiler.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 11:19 pm 

Hi Again Bob.

Just a thought - if they won't ship to the US (I think they probably will) then let me know and we can get it shipped to me, I can send it to you and we can sort out the postage somehow.

If you're stuck, we can try and organize something.

Neil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 1:03 am 

Neil G wrote:
Hi Bob.

I've got an '87 Transalp and I fitted a higher screen by a company in the UK called Skidmarx. Better than the stock screen which does little more than keep rain off the clocks. A better screen is made by a German firm called MCA (if I remember right) which is higher and has an adjustable spoiler at the top. Works quite well even for me at six feet two but wasn't cheap at over £90 (UK pounds). If you like I'll dig around and post a link here for you if I can remember where to find it.

Hi Neil,

As I'm a similar tall rider at 6'3"...and seeing as you have experience with a taller screen, I'm curious to know: does it actually make a much noticible and more pleasant riding difference over the stock (stubby) screen?
I've been curious about a taller screen myself, but going by some pictures and stories of different brand makes.....some cause buffeting/head shake from the air flowing around the sides.....or some are made with straight enough sides (it seems) that your grips/handprotectors keep smacking into it preventing full wheel turning lock or even ignition lock (when shutting off the bike). I've heard some say they had tall screens which they then cut down to prevent turbulence.
I've seen MRA, GIVI and Clearview screens mentioned on different bike part websites. Don't wanna spend $$$ and not be satisfied with sample A and find out later for $$1/2 I'd be happier and comfier with sample B. But then who doesn't.
In short...I'm wondering your first hand experience/recommendations for a tall rider. Also, is it the MRA your using, or something similsr to it :?:
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 5:24 am 

I have the 650cc version which is certanly diferent, but.... i've bought a MRA screen (the one without the adjuster) and after a while i went back to the original honda screen. The noise/buffeting was too much, and because i ride less on highways now, i'm better off with the standard one.

After reading a lot of forums, it's really hard to pick the right one... it really depends on the driver stats and on what one considers "tolerable" noise/buffeting to be. If possible, you should try and ride the bike with the screen installed, a friend bike perhaps? That would be ideal.

...i'm still trying to find a way to add something to the original screen (a DIY kind of thing), in order to improve it, but it'll problably take a while though.. don't have the time/energy to get into action. But all ideas/hints are welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 9:26 am 

My experiences with the MRA screen are that it does give a slightly smoother air flow than, certainly, the standard screen and an aftermarket higher screen. No screen will completely deflect the wind over the rider's head - not on a Transalp anyway. The MRA screen "moves" the airflow to somewhere about the top of my visor - I use an open face helmet - and with the screen spoiler set "high" I will still get some wind in my face. Moving the spoiler to "low" the airflow moves to around chest/neck level.

As lots of folks have said, it is a very personal choice and it also depends on the sort of riding you do. I spend a good percentage of my riding on motorways (highways) at around 60+MPH. I don't mind a little wind in the visor as long as the air flow is smooth rather than the full gale force with buffetting that can happen with a low screen.

Perhaps something the manufaturers/shops should take on board is the fact that screens aren't cheap and think about a short test drive period - "try before you buy" even if it means leaving the protector film on.

In short, I would rate the MRA over the other aftermarket screen I tried even after swapping back for a few days to make sure.

Hope this helps, take care all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 1:20 pm 

Well I am delighted to see this topic dicussed because I too would like to get to the best possible high speed ride quality. My experience is: -

1. I'm a 6'4"", rider of a 2004 model 650cc TA

2. It's fitted with the official accessory Honda Touring Screen which is higher than the standard screen. However there is still quite a degree of air turbulence causing helmet noise at higher speeds (60mph plus).

3. I wondered if my flip up helmet was contributing ot the noise and changed helmets to a new Airoh Tyger which is a lot quieter for wind noise. This model is new, cheap and has both a visor and peak fitted - a bit like the v expensive Arai Tour but loads cheaper. Also, if I'm going on a run I would also consider earplugs - but reluctantly because I do like to use my Ipod.

4. So the increased height of the offical touring screen does not neccessarily solve the problem. I've been looking at MRA Vario Tourer with spoiler. I too would like to test a bike with one fitted. I notice there is a UK distrubutor www.ppseat.co.uk. I might also ask them if they could just supply the spoiler part to fix to my existing high screen. Might perhaps save a bit of cash this way?

I don't know the the full price of the Vario Touere screen but I expect it would be over £100.

SO THE CONCLUSION IS: IF THERE IS ANY TALL RIDER WITH A NEW SHAPE BIKE WITH SPOILER TYPE SCREEN FITTED, WOULD YOU PLEASE LET US KNOW WHETHER WIND NOISE & TURBULENCE IS EFFECTIVELY REDUCED???

I too am delighted to receive any advice from the readership.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2006, 2:57 pm 

Hi Chris.

It's worth giving earplugs a go - I use them all the time and wouldn't be without them now even though I only commute 17 miles each way which takes about 30 minutes. You can still hear what's going on around you so I don't buy the theory that you're totally isolated from your surroundings. I reckon that you're still in touch, audibly, with what you need to hear - no worse than "Kevin" with a stereo that'll dim street lights at power up driving his "barried up" Saxo as fast as his rap-addled little brain will allow!! They just take the sharp edge off the noise which is damaging.

Have a look on good old eBay - there's a number of sellers on there doing the foam ear plugs like mine. I seem to remember paying something like a tenner for 30 pairs or something wild like that. Just roll 'em up and bung 'em in, job done.

I'm sure Touratech do a separate spoiler but I think it's only for the Africa twin. How different it is I've no idea - it might just call for a little mechanical "creativity" and the judicious use of a big hammer!!

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2006, 1:41 pm 

hello i have the mva touring screen with fender thingy on it on a 650 transalp 2003 i have tried the honda tall screen. i am 6ft tall.
the flip top screen is an inprovement on moterways but you still get the buffeting!!the honda screen was pretty similer on the moterways the kool thing about mva screen is you can set the airflow up for the typwe of journey you are on.so if you just nipping down the shops or something you can have the thing on small this works well for low speeds on a windless day ect.. you just cannot get rid of the windblast! believe me i have tried . but if you just do the earplug thing that makes a difference on long journeys.you can direct it at your neck your viser or the top of your lid! all the best with it markosparko..... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 12:22 pm 

I've yet to find a suitable solution, The bike I purchased was fitted with a Nuvo tall screen (v. similar to powerbronze in design), I initially found this to be superb in terms of wind protection, with no buffeting. It is very noisy.

I reverted to the stock screen supplied with the bike, much quieter than the Nuvo but puts a strain on the upper body on longer/faster journeys.

Went back to the Nuvo, instantly horrified with the noise, went home and chopped 3" (essentially the flip) off the top with the jigsaw, much better, might chop off another inch.

I found the Honda tall screen gave massive turbulence at certain speeds.

I am about 6' 2" and ride a 650 Alp, best way is to ride along and crouch/stand up to find where there is not much turbulence/noise and alter the screen to suit.

Phil

Post subject: Screens
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 11:43 am 

Hello all,

I got a V1 650 TA 4 months ago and at 5ft 8" tall have noticed that at motorway speeds Im starting to fight the wind. What really brought this home was following my brother on his DL650V. He was sat there happily watching the world go by at 80 mph and I was hanging on. Ive read all the posts regarding screens and none of it seems conclusive.

Ive seen MRA flip top screen for £78 on e-bay direct from Germany so the prices are cheaper than some of the earlier mails suggest.

Are there any shorter rider out there who've tried a replacement screen, and if so, how did you get on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 4:35 pm 

I'm 5'7.5" with a 29" inseam. I have a clearview screen and a corbin seat on my '89 TA. The clearview is fantastic - absolutely no buffetting. You can tuck in and get out of the windstream or sit up and get fresh air. Much better aerodynamics than my VStrom, which had terrrible buffeting with the stock screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 5:48 pm 

I have a Givi screen fitted to my 2005 model bike. After fitting it, I was about to rip it back off. The viabration on the helmet was that bad that it was shacking my teeth out. But I found that most of the viabrating wind ceased by doing up the mounting screws very tight. I am 6' 3" and find that the wind hitting my full face helmet still makes a bit of noise, but it is not too bad. With you being 5 inches shorter, you will find that the wind will go stright over your head and the noise will be less than the standard screen.

I am a all weather rider and find the screen excellent protection from wind, rain and cold weather. As it is now heading into summer here, I am considering putting the standard screen back on. It only takes a few minutes to change screens across.

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2006, 5:08 pm 

Neil G wrote:
Hi Bob - again.

Dud info last post - it's an MRA screen - try this link.

http://www.bikehps.com/mra/

Neil.

I just got a an MRA Screen, can be gotten through Twisted Throttle (140$), but they have to order it from overseas so delivery took a bit over a month.

The screen is great for anything under 55 mph, but getting on the highway, the wind hits my helmet just above the visor, and buffeting is a pain. Acutally gave me a head ache after a 400 mile ride, trying it out. Can not ride at speed with my visor partially open, way too much vibration, and start seeing double.

I'm now experimenting with cutting vents low down on the shield to help smooth out the buffeting, and I may also extend the flip up lip a bit with some plexiglass.. If I could get the airflow just a few inches higher I think everything would be good..

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2006, 1:00 pm 

soboy wrote:
I'm 5'7.5" with a 29" inseam. I have a clearview screen and a corbin seat on my '89 TA. The clearview is fantastic - absolutely no buffetting. You can tuck in and get out of the windstream or sit up and get fresh air. Much better aerodynamics than my VStrom, which had terrrible buffeting with the stock screen.

i'm just about your size. which clearview size did you get?

thanks.

matt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2006, 1:35 pm 

l am 5ft 6in tall and on my 05 650 l find a big diffence in noise depending on helmet. The quietest out of Airoh, HJC and Caberg Justimmo appear to be the Caberg, the worse by far the HJC. if l only had the HJC l would have rushed out to buy a taller sceen. The caberg is far the quietest helmet so far better even that an expensive Shoei l tried. On long trips l still have to wear earplugs. You would think flip front helmets would lose out to the one pieces. l have seen Shobert flips reduced to £149 , anyone have experienced or own one, are they quiet?.

Post subject: Tall screen buffetting
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2007, 1:18 am 

:roll: [i]I read all the bumf about fitting the taller screen and eventually decided to fit the Givi touring screen to my 2005 TA. At 5'11" tall, the wind buffetting around the visor area of my helmet is quite obvious and there is an increase in noise... however the added weather protection provided by the taller screen is worth it especially on motorway journeys at 70+ mph. The noise and buffetting is easily bareable, and strangley the rain seems to clear better from my visor now.
I wouldn,t say don't buy one, but just be aware, don't expect it to be perfect. (oh by the way, fitting is a sinch, 15mins max)

Ride safe, stay happy.

Gadget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 3:00 am 

ian.m wrote:
I have a Givi screen fitted to my 2005 model bike. After fitting it, I was about to rip it back off. The viabration on the helmet was that bad that it was shacking my teeth out. But I found that most of the viabrating wind ceased by doing up the mounting screws very tight. I am 6' 3" and find that the wind hitting my full face helmet still makes a bit of noise, but it is not too bad. With you being 5 inches shorter, you will find that the wind will go stright over your head and the noise will be less than the standard screen.

I am a all weather rider and find the screen excellent protection from wind, rain and cold weather. As it is now heading into summer here, I am considering putting the standard screen back on. It only takes a few minutes to change screens across.

Ian

G'day Ian,
I'm in Melb too and only recently picked up a new TA. I'm a good deal shorter than you at 5'7" and I do get quite a bit of buffeting but not sure if it's the bike or not. Having only recently got back on a bike after many years away, dual purpose bikes are totally new for me. I'm not really sure what is reasonable, expected, bike related, helmet related or whatever. I don't really want to be shelling out the big bucks for new screens if what I'm experiencing is quite normal. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Post subject: no longer bareable
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 1:17 pm 

prevously, I said that with my taller Givi screen the extra wind noise and buffeting was bareable... No longer! With the better weather here I've been riding with my visor up again, as I like to do. The extra noise and buffeting is now so annoying that I've cut approx 40mm off the heigt of the screen. Its made a huge improvement. The turbulent air now passes just under the chin of my helmet. The noise is much less and there is no buffeting. I cut 10mm off the screen at a time until I think I've found the best compromise between weather protection vs noise/buffeting.

Post subject: What is the best Screen?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 12:40 pm 

Hello fellows,

i got a 87' TA and replaced that orig. screen with a MRA. But it is nothing against a ride on my friends 91' AT. Look a the two frontsides: TA vs. AT.

1. AT's screen is much more smaller and little higher.
2. AT's front has holes on both sides.
3. The TA screen is a little lower but wider (with something like ears).
4. The TA Front ist close, no holes.

What is the conclusion together with some notice on today's moto's like the new Triumph Tiger e.g. : I cut the 'ears' so that it looks mutch more elegant like the AT's screen and i cut a semicircle between the bolts right over the headlamp, like a nose. This nose let the air flow behind the screen and lowers the depression behind the screen like the holes in the AT's front and like the design of the Tiger's screen).

The Result is that the screen produces fewer turbulences and less buffet. I claim there are now turbulences at 100 km/h where they were at 60 km/h before.

What are you guys and girls, if there are any ;-) , thinking about that?

Ice Polar, from Switzerland

Post subject: Modified WindShield
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2007, 3:42 pm 

Hello again,
here a Pic of my modification:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 1:32 am 

Hello it's me again,

Here is a Picture which shows the cut's:

Further modifications are necesary on the frontcover: take off the two covers on both sides of the instruments. This for free airflow.
(i will post annother picture).

You will notice very positive effect. I believe that i am on the right way, step by step to the best possible result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 1:01 am 

I had the MRA screen for my 1990 TA and didnt find it tall enough at all, despite the fancy spoiler thing, so i switched to the skidmarx one, which was good.

I now have the honda tall screen for my 650 TA and its better than the original but still a inch too short, very noisy above 50mph. i have gaffer-taped an old helmet visor to the top of the screen which gives me 1.5 inchs more, which cuts the noise down a lot. i am 5 ft 11".

hope this helps

Last edited by ds999 on May 19th, 2011, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 4:55 am 

3. .  Also, if I'm going on a run I would also consider earplugs - but reluctantly because I do like to use my Ipod.

While a bit off subject, I too use my Ipod while riding and found earplugs/earphones that are great...a bit pricey though.  These seem to be the cheapest Etymotic Research ER6i's at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... 13&Go.y=11

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, '97 Dyna-Conv, '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2007, 6:50 am 

I use to have the ERMAX windscreen which makes noise on the top of my helmet (I am 1.76m tall or 5.77 feet) after a crash i hade I fit the rest of the ERMAX on the normal TA windscreen a litl bit higher than it first was by itself but i leava a gap of about 2cm (0.8in) bettween the two screens so I dont have low pressure behind the system. The system work wery ggod but my problem was in the city at hot days (see GREECE) and I have to buid it every time I want to go a long trip. Finnaly I use the universal spoiler from TURATECH. It is not as affective as "my system" but is more flexible to use it.  :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 2:12 am 

On my avatar you can see the ERMAX wind shild this is the turatech spoiler :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 2:15 am 

One more time the image :!: [img=http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2299/turatechspoilernw6.jpg]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 8:00 am 

CAN YOU SEE IT NOW :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2008, 6:19 pm 

Has anyone tried the Rifle windscreen?  They have a 15" and an 18" in various tints and will make a custom height as well.  It looks to be pretty vertical on the bike.  That may not be a bad thing.  Looks similar to the Ermax.

I think I may try the 15".  I've found the MRA to be too tall and not allow enough air to keep my face shield from fogging up.

CRF450X
89 TA

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 10:25 am 

Hi all
I get the sense that this is a common issue! i want to improve the noise/buffeting of my standard screen. So i bought a used standard screen and to it bolted an MRA screen from my previous 650 strom as a tester - horrible = my nose itched above 30mph and it made me feel quite sick above 60mph
so i sit here wondering whether some other screen may be better. i contacted MRA having been very impressed with it on my previous Vstrom but they would not let me test ride a TA MRA screen.
Input from you good people has made me feel that there may not be an easy answer to this
My mate bought an MRA screen for his BMW on my recommendation and hated it - so it seems to be bike specific!
i wear earplugs now (and suffer tinnitus - please care for your hearing the constant whistling is a pain!)
Dont really know what to do next
skidmarx screen seems to have some good comments
at 6ft and using my 2002 650 TA daily for 50mile commute on major A roads and smaller country roads in North Yorkshire i want a screen that can do everything - alas it may be a holy grail
any help is appreciated
tony

PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 5:33 am 

Last entries were 7 years ago.
Maybe something has changed.
Does anyone have a solution these days?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 6:34 am 

i would but the tallest screen you can then add this to it

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-creen_Motorcycle_Screen_Flip_Spoiler_Air_Deflector.html

PostPosted: October 9th, 2015, 2:11 am 

Mine has the MRA fitted, being 6ft3 I find it a bit too low even with the spoiler.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 9:58 am 

So. Digging up this old thread. The reason being the bloody buffeting and turbulence.

Last season when I changed my enduro/dual-sport Shot helmet to a proper closed astronaut Caberg things got better noise wise. In addition I've used proper ear plugs last couple of years which also helps. But all the windshield versions I've tried haven't worked out for me. The best result I got was without a windshield at all - nice and smooth air flowing around the helmet. I'm not that old yet but I feel like the proper bike for me would be a vintage Honda CB 750 Four, nice and naked. Okay, my TA doesn't have the original fairing and maybe the original would suit me better than the KLR 500 one I'm exploiting right now. Who knows.

The fact that I wanted to relocate my smartphone holder from the handlebars to being behind the windshield so I could see it better while navigating created a need for a taller screen. Last time after trying a generic universal windshield bought from eBay and fiddling with it the end result was good... when I tucked my head against the windshield. :thud: So I guess I can get the best result with a classical naked bike while adding a windshield to the handlebar which makes it more closer to the helmet thus limiting the distance between the helmet and the windshield and reducing the turbulence maybe?

I moved it even further to the front of the bike and made possible for the air to move between the windshield and the gauges. But the buffeting remained.
So I scrapped the idea and used the KLR's windshield by tilting it towards the front making it more vertical and adding a homemade connecting piece. The result was aimed to be similar to the Paris-Dakar racing bikes fairings that can house all sorts of gadgets (maps, gps, clock, voltmeter and what not).

I cut an opening into the connecting piece which should help to cool down the phone's battery and decrease the buffeting and turbulence but it feels like I'm too bloody sensitive to the whole turbulence and buffeting thing that I'm gonna lose my mind soon because I'm still feeling some of it. It feels like the windshield should be even shorter since raising my butt from the saddle for about 8-10 cm the turbulence disappears and silence appears. But I do like how it looks now. I'm probably gonna try more versions and hopefully something settles. :dance:

Attachments:
File comment: The smartphone holder can be turned both vertical and horizontal. The space on the right is reserved for relocated voltmeter and a clock perhaps.
IMG_20170407_162627.jpg
IMG_20170407_162627.jpg [ 972.85 KiB | Viewed 483 times ]
File comment: The KLR 500 windshield tilted towards the front with a homemade connecting piece
IMG_20170407_162642.jpg
IMG_20170407_162642.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 483 times ]
File comment: The eBay windshield
IMG_20170405_200059.jpg
IMG_20170405_200059.jpg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 483 times ]

PostPosted: April 10th, 2017, 2:46 am 

I saw a pic, or more like a "how to" once, where someone had cut the original screen down to say couple inches above the top edge of the instrument panel. You follow? The screen was pretty short, aye! Then he had taken a GS Bimmer touring screen and put it on the original, or what was left of the original screen so that the lower edges of both screens were about even. He'd placed spacers in between the two screens so that there was around 1/2" gap between them.

So, a tall Bimmer screen in front of a cut down orig screen and a gap between them. Got it?

I just couldn't find that post ever since! Neither the forum it was at. It seemed like a good idea and he was happy with the result!

That's my plan anyway... Maybe it was a dream that I saw, go figure...

Neppi

EDIT (18.May.2017): http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/82119-show-us-your-transalp-28.html#post1038042

Last edited by neppi on May 18th, 2017, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2017, 12:01 pm 

Twisted Throttle sells MRA products in the US.