www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: waterproofs
PostPosted: May 10th, 2007, 11:03 am 

Can anyone out there recommend a decent but cost effective all in one waterproof oversuit as I found out yesterday my 8 year old FT Aquapac leaks like a sive(sp?). Saw thoses Aldi/lidl ones last year and they actually seemed well made - shame I didn't buy one!!

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2007, 3:40 pm 

Hi Tommy.

Have a look on the M&P website and also check out the "Busters" website - I'm sure one of 'em is having a sort of sale at the moment with some decent prices. Might be worth checking out the Hein Gericke site as well. Their stuff ain't cheap but it does what it says on the tin. I'm guessing you want a lightweight one-piece just to slip on if the weather turns foul?

If you need a suit that will do everything then the Hein Gericke "Cruise" suit can't be beaten. Bloody expensive at £500 but I've never worn a better suit.

Good hunting.

Post subject: Waterproofs
PostPosted: May 12th, 2007, 10:32 am 

I've got a useful piece of advice for you based on experience. The very expensive waterproofs I have which are guaranteed 100 percent waterproof, are not, they piss through in a bit of rain.

I decided that the bloody things were going in the bin, except that I would try one last thing first, wax, like they wax Belstaffs and Barbours with.

I located a Horsey shop and bought a tin of wax for three quid. I worked it into the cotton and nylon panels and they're now as waterproof as plastic sheet. I live in Scotland so I know about rain.

Take my advice buy as cheap as you like and buy a three quid tin of wax, you'll be onto a winner.

The fancy Waterproofing logos and guarantees on the dear stuff is just so much bare faced lies.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2007, 9:39 am 

l bought two pair of those Lidl oversuits, my mate nick one and swears by it. l have been using my two piece Lidl jacket and pants and both appear watertight so far. For the money a good buy but they are obviously not up to BMW, Hein Gericke kit, l am going to Germany via Denmark so l will tell you if they can take a soaking as l always seem to cop it on the way out of England. Lidls only sell the motorcycle gear twice a year and the couriers grab it qiuck so if you see it come up get in fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 11:48 pm 

I use a spada two piece and swear by it
didn't cost a lot either 10 quid for the trousers and 24 for the jacket
still going strong and a lot easier to get on in a hurry

Post subject: Frogg Toggs
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 5:16 pm 

I have a couple of pair of Frogg Toggs I have carried in my GoldWing for some time, and a few weeks ago I had a chance to try them out.  I was going from Houston to Dallas (Texas), about 260 miles.  Leaving Houston it was raining about 1" per hour (heavy rain).  I suited up in the garage and headed out.  Rain let up to just a drizzle after about an hour.  
Anyway, I was dry when I got home.

I do have better protection on the Wing than I do on the Transalp but the way it was coming down if the Toggs were going to ever leak this would have been the time.

Oh, one more thing.  My Wing has a veloure seat so I had a rain cover over it and I was sitting in water puddled on my seat most of the way.

They feel like they are made of paper but whatever it is it worked for me.

When my wife gets cold she puts on the Toggs and they block all the wind from going through her jacket and pants.  Keeps her much warmer.

Here is the link to take a look:  http://www.froggtoggs.com

Ti04

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 2:27 pm 

My tuppence worth:  The Aldi / Lidl one piece waterproof suit: Be glad you did'nt buy one. Totally useless. I did a round trip to Dublin Airport in the rain, about 40 mile total and I was totally soaked. I was actually sitting in a puddle of water in the suit. Binned. My other half bought the Lidl two piece suit and so far so good but she has'nt really baptised it with a good soaking as yet. Only light rain.
As for Hein Gericke: I paid 150 sterling for a pair of armoured waterproof trousers. Like a sponge  and the shop said that IF they were leaking they would repair them...they did not automatically believe me and then offered to have them "fixed" !! So I think Mark is right, waterproof your own, forget the fancy books attached with string that try to justify the price with wonders of science and fancy made up names for the lining. Truth is they leak.  We are duped into paying for motorcycle clothing that DOES NOT do what is pretends to. Gloves, boots into the bargain!! Hopefully helmets live up to our expectations if we are in the unfortunate position of putting them to the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 3:54 am 

To tell the truth, I use cheap yellow industrial waterproofs.

Only trouble is, last pair of pants I got, had a fly!!!

Let ten times the water in than it ever let out!

Very clever, the Chinese.

Nev :D

Post subject: Waterproofs
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 12:13 pm 

Did'nt think you got that much rain in Oz Kev, except in 'the wet', better use a bit of duct tape.
Ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 2:05 pm 

I can vouch for the Hein Gericke gore-tex pants and the black Aldi jacket; I've been out in downpours wearing them for a couple of hours and they've never let as much as a drop of water through.

Post subject: Re: Waterproofs
PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 9:25 am 

ErnieC wrote:
Did'nt think you got that much rain in Oz Kev, except in 'the wet', better use a bit of duct tape.
Ernie

And wrap it around what?
Nev

Post subject: Re: waterproofs
PostPosted: May 18th, 2014, 2:28 am 

Went to a hike-camping -climbing shop Cape Union Mart
bought a K-Way pollux shell pants XL and a K-way rainsuit top XXl both breathable
both go over my riding gear, both worked purfectly, unfortunately the pants do not have a gusset so the Zipper lets water in?
obviously buld for walking and not sitting on a bike but I will add a water proof gusset and then everything should be great!!
Bought a vacuum storage bag, packed them in pulled the air out they now take up less space in my back pack!
DS

PostPosted: May 21st, 2014, 11:31 am 

I have added photo's
first of my wet weather gear folded Jacket, pants , water proof gloves and a Zip loc plastic bag for you Mobile and anything else you don't want to get we
The second after I put it in a Tesco vacuum bag a sucked the air out with my Vacuum cleaner
like this I can carry it in my back pack, with out it being bulky
rather cool I think.

Attachments:
gear in vacuum bag.jpg
gear in vacuum bag.jpg [ 620.35 KiB | Viewed 1469 times ]
gear just folded.jpg
gear just folded.jpg [ 402.16 KiB | Viewed 1469 times ]

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 2:53 am 

hears what I have a spada one piece works pretty well up to a point but will let water in if rain is torrential for a couple of hours a nightmare to put on take off and certainly not easy on the side of the road when it starts belting down and quit bulky to carry in a top box . I have a weise jacket its a great bit of kit I tried to buy a trousers to match it but got send a rubbish imitation by an e bay shyster it wasn't even lined . race leathers avoid like the plague . so I sent it back and bought a held creek pants from fcmoto in Germany . I am still waiting on it I ordered it on a Friday evening today is the next sunday so hopefully I have it tomorrow . I am hoping that by spending a little extra I get more weather protection . I will update this when I have tested them in very heavy rain . my last trousers is a Richa rain warrior they leaked very slightly at the crotch from day one but were very easy to get on at the side of the road with two Velcro tabs . they lasted for years but have become a bit threadbare at the crotch . I was thinking of maybe giving them a run on the sewing machine to repair them and buying some silicone reprofing spray but that was after I ordered the new pair . I am off to ebay now to look at reproffing spray .

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 3:05 pm 

My Firstgear Katmandu suit (shameless plug) works for me in most all weather. Wet, I don't ride in frog drowning situations, cold, down to about 45f with the liners, warm, up to close to 90f.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 8:28 am 

my held creek trousers has arrived . its very tight fitting I can just about close the Velcro on the legs with motorcross boots over leather jeans with a quilted ski trousers over them . if going for one go up a size as its hard to pull up over a leather jacket . it looks to be very well made just very slim fitting if your a bag of bones its fine but if you like pies and pints of beer it will cut off the blood to your testicles :cry: I cant afford to send it back I am down 10 quid over the last one . hopefully it keeps out a sky juice and lasts a while