www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can i be an 'Alper?
PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 5:50 pm 

Bought a 92 TA 600 .(stopped, until i pass the needed licence)
Previous ride: xr 125 l.

Very proud owner of a Transalp, that i think was a very good deal (for the condition it presented)

She's stoped also because i'm 1.7m (5.4") and she's mounted on a pure enduro front tyre and a Mitas-07 on the back, and the previous owner raised the bar and also the seat height (rear preload adjust?).

I hope to preform the below in one month, (the time i can ride it leggaly):
-have it on less off road tyres (thinking on metzeler endurance, any ideas?).
-have the rear supension looked up (Can i do it myself? short experience but fast learner, basic tools, no lift) and set it to the minimum possible, taking "advantage" that i'm also only 60kg jacket and helmet on.
-take the bar raisers out.

With this i hope to feel a bit more comfortable ridding it, since as is, i tip toe both feet, and for instance, it's very hard to take the bike in reverse, and for the coming times at leat, loss of ground clearance will not be a problem, since 75% of the use will be on the city, and 25% touring to get more experienced with heavy ladies.

Any chance after all this i'll beome an Alper? I

Hope to get some hints and absorve the knowledge out there, as for the next times i will a sponge on this matter :dizzy:

Greetings from Portugal!

Post subject: Re: Can i be an 'Alper?
PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 7:12 pm 

Welcome GuiRC.

Besides backing off the rear spring as far as you can, you can also slide the front forks up through the triple clamps a little bit. Don't go to far or the front fender will hit the fairing. Later when you get use to it you can put it all back to normal.

89 Transalp XL600V X3, 01 Goldwing GL1800, 99 Varadero XL1000V
05 CRF450X Plated, 01 XR650L, 84 Passport C70

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 3:10 pm 

Glad to see you! Welcome.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 9:00 pm 

Greetings GuiRC and welcome to the forum. Have fun with the inmates and enjoy the ride. Before you back off the rear spring, check whether the suspension link on the rear shock/ prolink hasn't been turned over, because this adds 7 or 8 cm to the ride height. I can't post picks as I have yet to master that on my tablet.
Cheers.
Jack.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 9:06 pm 

Have a look at this thread as it may help you understand what to look at:

<http://www.transalp.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8424>

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 6:42 am 

GuiRC and Jackflash, The 600 uses a different rear shock linkage than the 650 does and can't be turned over for adjustment of height.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 7:49 am 

Thank you all for the welcome!

I've looked for the rings that set the preload, and they are screwed to the bottom of the adjustment, and from what i understand, it means the shock is already on the agustment where it lowers the bike at the maximum, correct?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 9:21 am 

Quote:
they are screwed to the bottom of the adjustment

If you have the original Shock, the adjustment rings should be on the top of the spring and to lower the back of the bike you need the run them up, un-compressing the spring. The top ring is a lock ring and the bottom is the adjuster ring.

If you have an aftermarket Shock with the adjusters on the bottom, it may be a longer than stock shock and that might be why the bike is so tall.

Attachments:
600 Shock.jpg
600 Shock.jpg [ 67.76 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 9:36 am 

Thanks for the reply,
Mine looks like the stock one (but im not sure), and the rings are screwed to the maximum compressions of the Spring.

Is it Ok to adjust the rings from the opening on the frame? they look accessile-ish to adjust with a long screwdriver or something similiar.

So, to lower the rear of the TA i'll have to unscrew the rings, leaving them more close to the top (nr 9 on the figure above).

Am im getting to it?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 1:28 pm 

Quote:
So, to lower the rear of the TA i'll have to unscrew the rings, leaving them more close to the top (nr 9 on the figure above).

Am im getting to it?

You got it. It is also better if you can get the rear wheel off the ground. Be sure to leave a couple threads at the top just in case. It's tough to get to the rings when still in the bike but it can be done. I just use a long Screw Driver and Hammer to spin the ring around. Good luck.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 4:35 pm 

Thanks for the help skyliner! I'll give it a try. Otherwise i hope that when i go for the tyre change i can get use of the bike already on the lift to preform the preload Adjust!

PostPosted: November 28th, 2017, 11:28 am 

Hi... GuiRC...Well I am wishing you lots of really good luck...at your weight and height i hope your solid muscle. I double your weight ! am 6ft tall and am an old ex weight trainer...and these beasts are quite a handful when you stop at junctions in windy weather...i am sometimes very nearly caught out at a couple of local slope'ing roads when stopped...You may not have passed your test yet ! but i'm hope'ing you have some experience behind you.....Ride it at first " without " a full tank,as the extra couple of gallons can make a lot of difference...I,m lucky i am still strong " as witnessed by some XRV Forum guys " when i snatched my XL600v upright " with one arm " ! off the grass after falling off in the mud only three months ago...My riding skills didn't impress anyone...but that did ? GOOD LUCK...Welcome and stay safe.....

Having said that...Two guys at the bike MOT shop..one tall and slim...the other...about your size...the shorter guy can balance..jump on and off..without any stands down...AMAZES ME..and he ain't heavy...and they are brothers.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 7:08 am 

Hi again...I mentioned your question of lowering your Tranny to suit you better, to a very experienced motocross biker at work ! I got a suspension set ups lecture as i said my rear is set up to max height...and the front is too..but has not really any preload adjustment apart from putting spacers on the spring tops under the caps to raising or lowering the yokes on the stanchions to lower it...He was not a happy bunny...going on about suspension sag and caster angles altering rideability etc...I say mines fine...BUT DO A GOOGLE SEARCH...FOR...MC Garage and sag...it is interesting...In my defence ! i said i've had 22.1/2 stone on mine and all was well for 260 mile around country lanes...at about 19 stone in boots etc mines must have to be on pillion settings....ie max'd out
Let everyone on here know how you get on as well though....

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 8:38 am 

Quote:
He was not a happy bunny

But the fact that we are riding a 25+/- year old motorcycle was OK? People talk about Sag and Caster Angles from stuff they read on the internet, but those are just starting figures. Everybody has different needs and use their bikes differently.

My poor bike in dirt setup uses a 1 inch longer AT750 swingarm with an 18 inch wheel on the back and 2008 CRF450X forks and wider 21 inch front wheel. Talk about screwing up the geometry. But it handles so much better than it ever did before.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 1:11 pm 

So far, i've only chanced the off road tyres to Metzelder endurance (both front and rear) but only took a lap arround the block, since i dont want to risk an encounter with law officers without licence por insurance :roll: but every lap arround the block seems even more excinting than the previous one ! Cant wait to roll it arround the country!

P.s. i kept the continental TK and mitas 07 and also the tubes that were mounted.(put new ones under the new três) Do you think they will hold for a future change to the knobly tyres again?

PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 6:03 pm 

GuiRC wrote:
So far, i've only chanced the off road tyres to Metzelder endurance (both front and rear) but only took a lap arround the block, since i dont want to risk an encounter with law officers without licence por insurance :roll: but every lap arround the block seems even more excinting than the previous one ! Cant wait to roll it arround the country!

P.s. i kept the continental TK and mitas 07 and also the tubes that were mounted.(put new ones under the new três) Do you think they will hold for a future change to the knobly tyres again?

Tyres have a limited shelf life, especially on bikes. We depend on 2 small contact patches and we lean our bikes over to corner. I don't know how long they will last, but I've found that 4 or 5 years from fitting is enough to ruin even good quality tyres that look new but have had little or no use. If the tread starts to look shiny, they will have hardened and offer almost no grip.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the head's up, but the tyres have been rolling for onde year now. I changed them only because no off roading on sight for me on the upcoming times. By nos they are under the bed.

I guess that for the price of the tubes it will be better to buy new ones when the time for dirt riding comes.