www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 11:30 pm 

Firstly Where do people place their feet on the ground at standstill ,in front or behind the footrests?
I have lowered the rear suspension and forks but still I am having trouble getting comfortable with both feet on the ground.I have about a 30 inside leg although I am 6 foot tall.
It seems the width of the frame/seat is the problem forcing me legs to an unnatural position.Transalp 650 2001

Do you have problems getting your foot on the centre stand pad,I find the centre stand is masked by the side stand and need to put the side stand down before trying to then use the centre stand.I have never had this problem on other bkes.

Mods I was unsure where to post this please move to correct forum if needed

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 12:26 am 

i have the same problem with the saddle.......i'm going to get mine lowered and narrowed
centrestand........yep it was an afterthought.......sidestand first and then the centrestand.....PITA but that's the joy of owning a bike thats not QUITE an offroader and not QUITE a roadbike.......everything is a compromise!

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 1:39 am 

KGI wrote:
i have the same problem with the saddle.......i'm going to get mine lowered and narrowed
centrestand........yep it was an afterthought.......sidestand first and then the centrestand.....PITA but that's the joy of owning a bike thats not QUITE an offroader and not QUITE a roadbike.......everything is a compromise!

thanks KGI
it seems the narrowing is restricted by the wide frame rails underneath the seat,I will also look if it is possible to narrow the seat.
where do you place your feet when stationary?
I have only just bought the bike and as yet cant get comfortable when placing my feet on the floor,this may be due to problems with my hips causing pain.I seem to naturally sit with my backside against the area where the seat rises for the pillion and my legs try to go in front of the footrests I think this is a mistake and should be behind but then the sidepanels get in the way of my inside leg.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 3:30 pm 

At a standstill...always behind the pegs. Being smacked from behind will be less traumatic.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 4:52 am 

paulfg wrote:
KGI wrote:

thanks KGI
it seems the narrowing is restricted by the wide frame rails underneath the seat,I will also look if it is possible to narrow the seat.
where do you place your feet when stationary?
I have only just bought the bike and as yet cant get comfortable when placing my feet on the floor,this may be due to problems with my hips causing pain.I seem to naturally sit with my backside against the area where the seat rises for the pillion and my legs try to go in front of the footrests I think this is a mistake and should be behind but then the sidepanels get in the way of my inside leg.

you can narrow the saddle across the spine.....it'll be a bit like riding a knife.....it doesn't bother me a i used to ride trials bikes with a VERY narrow saddle,as for putting me foot down,as i can only EVER get one down,it's behind the peg

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 5:45 am 

I'm 170cm (5'7") and I have had my rear suspension raised. Yes I have dropped my bike at least twice since doing so but it was heavily laden on that trip and I don't like back or leg injuries, both of which I've suffered in the past trying to save heavy bikes, so I let it fall.
I was only ever able to put one foot flat on the ground with the original suspension setup, so now I just slide over to the side I feel like putting my foot down on and make do with that. Rather than have the whole bike lowered, why not sell it as it is and buy a lower bike? That would make more sense to me, and the sidestand bolt and it's mounting lug will have worn out of shape from wear and age, the same as my '03 XL650V Transalp causing its spring to pull it closer to the centrestand.
Prior to raising the rear (I've removed the centre stand and put a longer side stand on now), I used to put the sidestand down to get off the bike then put it on the centre stand after hopping off. We don't generally put bikes straight onto the centre stand while sitting on them, my FZS1000 still has both and I still put it on the side stand to dismount then stand on the centre stand lug to get it onto that, as this is easier for me at less than 75kg (166lbs) .
Having both feet flat on the ground isn't something I have been able to achieve with most bikes and I rate ground and cornering clearance far more important than both feet flat on the floor.
In the end the decision is yours, we don't buy bikes with our heads but rather with our hearts, otherwise most of us would be riding step throughs and small commuters and bike makers would have no call to build adventure bike, or sports bikes or cruisers or maxi scooters for that matter.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 5:48 am 

ymracing wrote:
At a standstill...always behind the pegs. Being smacked from behind will be less traumatic.

Never thought of it that way Garry. I don't know whether my legs are long enough to reach the ground behind the transalp pegs.