www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently February 21st, 2018, 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: March 27th, 2009, 12:07 pm 
Deputy Admin

Well, the 2001 GSXR 600 can/muffler is on and the verdict is, IMO - awesome!

It cost me a bit more than I expected ($100) to have the connecting pipe made up at a Muffler shop but they did a great job - pipe is 2" aluminized steel exhaust tubing from the muffler down to near the header pipe. The guy was originally going to use one piece of 1 1/2" and just expand it up to 2" where it was to be welded to the muffler mounting flange but decided to go with the 2" as the increased diameter would mitigate the minor loss in diameter where the tubing was crushed making the slight bend needed.

They then took a piece of 1 1/2" tubing about 4" long and expanded one end to slip inside the 2" and welded it together with the 1 1/2" end fitting perfectly over the outlet on the TA's header pipe. It fits so tightly in fact that I can't seem to detect any exhaust leakage from the connection so might not even worry about fitting a clamp. Finished pipe was then given a coating of Hi-Temp Aluminum color exhaust paint which looks nice with the GSXR can - I'm not sure I'll leave it that color tho as I need to re-paint my headers and am not sure the aluminum color against the black engine would look good, at least to me.

Bike runs great with stock jetting and seems to have a little more low end torque with no apparent loss of power to me in the whole powerband and there is no backfiring or popping on revving or deceleration, just a nice rumble. The exhaust tone is very nice - quite a bit deeper now than the stock muffler and is just a bit louder but is way far from being too loud, IMO. I tried capturing a sound clip with my Digicam but the resulting audio capture was poor quality so you'll just have to trust me on how good it sounds unless I can get a capture from a better source.

I may in fact try to figure out if I can modify the mufflers internal baffle to make it just a little louder for those times I lane-split here in Kalifornistan just so the Brain-Dead-Cagers can better hear me overtaking them.

FYI - anyone thinking of doing this mod should only look for the 2001-2003 GSXR 600/750/1000 cans as I believe anything after 2003 is longer and/or larger in diameter.

Click on pics to enlarge image

1990 Transalp XL600V - Gone but not Forgotten...
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Thanks, Scotty - Rest in Peace

Last edited by NorCalVstrom on December 13th, 2010, 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2009, 12:08 pm 
Deputy Admin

Some closer shots for detail - Click on pics to enlarge image

Last edited by NorCalVstrom on December 13th, 2010, 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2009, 11:13 pm 

Wow! Thats a niiiiiice bit of work there. Those pics look good.  8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2009, 6:07 am 
Deputy Admin

BTW - I forgot to say that the 01-03 GSXR cans weigh about 6.25lbs whereas my stock exhaust weighs a bit over 13lbs. Also, the 01-03 GSXR cans also can be found in a Titanium version that weighs 1.5lbs less than the standard aluminum 01-03 GSXR cans. It's not entirely made out of Titanium - only some of the internal parts, and they usually command a higher price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 1:46 pm 

I did this last year, I used one from a 2005 GSXR 750

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 8:23 pm 
Deputy Admin

Thought I'd revisit this thread and post an update. I now have over 27k miles running the GSXR muffler on my TA. My bike is running great with the GSXR can and continues to get about 50mpg average - the exhaust note is perfect, louder and deeper throated than the too quiet sound of the stock TA muffler but far from being anywhere near too loud, IMO. I did upgrade to the GSXR 1000 Titanium can this summer and shaved more weight off when I found a totally pristine one on Craigslist for $75.

I also re-engineered the mounting bracket and added an extra bolt to help eliminate a bit of side to side movement I was getting and also added a heavy-duty SS circular muffler clamp at the joint where the muffler pipe slips on to the Header pipe outlet.

Here are a couple of pics showing the new rear mounting bracket made out of 3/16" aluminum plate. Click the pics to get larger resolution images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2010, 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff@TireBalls wrote:

Fuzzy Seat covers? :)

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is based on sources I believe reliable, or I just made up, so its accuracy is not guaranteed.  Commentary by "Russ Grover." expresses his opinion and not those of "Honda Motor Company".   There is No Warranty for any advice or Opinion given by Anyone on this forum. (Note: This Disclaimer can change at any Moment.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2010, 6:32 am 

Russ Grover wrote:
Jeff@TireBalls wrote:

Fuzzy Seat covers? :)

Sheep skin seat covers are the only way to go for all day in the saddle!  :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2010, 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Where do you get them?
Russ

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is based on sources I believe reliable, or I just made up, so its accuracy is not guaranteed.  Commentary by "Russ Grover." expresses his opinion and not those of "Honda Motor Company".   There is No Warranty for any advice or Opinion given by Anyone on this forum. (Note: This Disclaimer can change at any Moment.)

PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 12:47 pm 

this tread inspired me and after looking at e bay uk for a good while yesterday and a lot of today I ended up biding on a very clean Yamaha yzf 750 standard can . I was the only bidder and I won it for £0.99 p :D the post to Ireland is the killer at £ 20 but over all im happy . Im a welder /fitter by trade and my brother has some 2" and 1 1/2 " stainless dairy tube with a few elbows in his inventory of handy bits of scrap iron that might come in handy . I have a stock pipe fitted its ok but im bored and want a little project to stop me from going mad . and I reakon its going to sound a bit better I was thinking of getting a race can but after doing a bit of reading up I feared it might need rejecting to get it to run right and I don't need the grief . I will get back and let you all know how it runs after I fit it . I cant load up pictures no need I can tell you now its not going to be pretty it will be industrial or rough as fluck what ever way you want to call it . now im off back to e bay to look at the gsxr 750 can that I should have bough only I was trying to keep the cost down so I put a bid of £ 10 on the yzf can . the gsxr starts at £ 26 I will kick myself if that's all it makes . :bash:

update nobody bid on the gsxr can im flucking sick in my stomach right now :oops:

update #2 :mrgreen: after looking at jeffs bike I think I might be abel to just slip the can right on with out any cuting or welding at all to the built in link pipe on the can maybe I will end up just doing a cut and tuck joint to angle it more hopefully not though or I could do the cut on the original collectot to keep the shiney bit shiney . I will probably have to make another top mount for my pannier rack so the pipe can clear it and remount my winkers up higher that's no problem I will have a shiney pipe all the ways back from the rusty down pipes . I will get a tin of barbecue paint in an aresol can that's good for 500 degrees of heat and spruce it up the down pipes a bit I will also get new exaust gaskets cos the bike sounds like its blowing ever so slightly since I had the can off before when it burnt a hole right between the 2 chrome pipes at the end after rideing at 140 kmh for 2 hours on the motorway when in a hurry to get to cork city one day I took it off and welded it up agin no bother . so after all I think I got the right can by mistake I hope so anyway . :dance:

PostPosted: September 30th, 2013, 12:01 am 

My bike has one of these on it http://www.fastbikebits.com/product/788/viper-race-cans-alloy-oval/341c79a78967a9723c36c4a6a1b8bb11 The only downside I have is that it fries the rh indicator
as the exhaust exit is just behind it. Oh well they are only cheap ebay jobbies :dance:

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 7:58 am 

the yzf 750 end can got hear its huge and weighs a ton well almost 1stone its not going on the bike it would look stupid and its not worth the hassle . im gone off the idea of an end can all together not worth the grief . I jumped in with a small bid with a minuite to go it cost a fucking fortune to post and the tool took ages to post it and leaft out part of the address so it took even longer to get hear . im out of pocket a small fortune im really annoyed about it . you live and learn . :cry:

PostPosted: October 21st, 2013, 6:27 am 

update . im back on track I bought a gsxr end can from a 2001 750 . it was an auction over job on e bay uk . I contacted the seller it was starting bid of £20 I offered him £ 15 . he accepted sound lad we a bit of crack messages over and back so its on the way . I cant wait to get started I will make my own 3 hole flange from a piece of 5mm stainless plate then use 2 inch dairy tube to make the link pipe reduce it down to 1 1/2 . now I got to get rid of a yzf 750 end can if I got 20 euro for it that would be mighty then I would only be loseing 20 euro I doubt I will get 40 all I can do is put it up for sale .

PostPosted: October 26th, 2013, 2:08 pm 

first of all I would like to say thank you very much NORCALTA for starting the thread and showing us all this usefull mod . my 1990 transalp now has a gsxr end can fitted and im as happy as a sand boy . I spend a couple of hours yesterday and all day today doing it and its the job .

it looks great and sounds great like a bit of an animal but not anti social . the bike runs much better I just have to get used to the gear changes as its a little different . what I used a piece of 3 mm stainless plate 25 mm wide with 60mm hole centres to hang the can from the rack mount . a piece of 3 mm stainless plate to make a 3 hole flange to joine the link pipe to the can .

I started off with some corrugated card board . I put a drop of oil on the 3 studs on the can and placed the cardboard on top . I used a sharp knife to make a tiny hole just big enough for the tip of a pencil to poke trough . I marked the piece of plate the dot punched it with a heavy punch . i drilled the holes to size on the pillar drill .
starting small and useing plenty of oil squirted on frequently with an oil can to keep the drill bit cool as stainless is hard stuff to drill . I placed the drilled out plate down over the studs and bolted it down and drew the shape of the flange on the plate with a pencil .

I then used a short off cut of 2 inch pipe to draw a circle where the link pipe will sit I also drew a 1 1/2 inch circle inside that . I used a small angle grinder to cut out the hole and a 9 inch grinder to cut off most of the excess material around the flange .

I then used a grinding disc to shape it up . I cut a piece of 1 1/2 inch stainless dairy tube 65 mm long and I split it along the length and prised it open with 2 screwdrivers so I could slip it on over the collector pipe . I cut a piece of pipe to fill in the gap .and welded it up . its a good snug fit with no leaks . I then used an elbow that's like a piece of pipe that's got a 90 degree bend in it .

I cut it so that the straight end looked parallel with the face of the collector pipe if that makes any sence . then I measured up for my link pipe . where the link pipe slips on over the 1 1/2 collar on the colletctor pipe I cut slits with the small grinder so I could tap the end with a rubber hammer to reduce the end of the pipe .

my brother whos work shop I done it in tacked it together for me while I held it in place . I then took it off and welded it on the bench . I used an arch welder . it was difficult enough to weld and I had to spot weld it as the walls of the tubeing are quite thin not good for welding but light weight . I burnt a few holes but that is normal I just chiped off the slag and welded over the holes .

a welding inspector might not be too impressed with it but I am . its industrial looking it wont rust and its solid as a rock its sealed perfect when I blank off the end with a welding glove a rev the engine I can only hear mechanical noise . I will get my woman to try and load up some photos as she is good with computers . so for around 30 euros for the end can includeing p&P some scrap iron and a days work I have a great result . 8)

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 1:04 pm 

Some excellent exhaust mods one here - well done to you all.

All I need now is a set of stainless headers for my '87 Transalp and I'l be happy. Any ideas??.............................

PostPosted: January 18th, 2014, 10:16 am 

Neil G wrote:
Some excellent exhaust mods one here - well done to you all.

All I need now is a set of stainless headers for my '87 Transalp and I'l be happy. Any ideas??.............................

how are ye neil only company I heard of doing them was motad but they recently stoped there was a few pairs of them new on e bay uk for handy enough money at the time a few months ago . you should be able to pick second hand original pipes for handy enough money on e bay I would imagine you could try e bay Germany too and use google translater to suss out the lingo . plenty of transalp sold their and a great stock of secondhand parts there .