www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently February 21st, 2018, 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 2:46 pm 

summers on its way !!!!!! time for touring whats corbin's seat like for rider and pillion any info will be good thanks alot

Post subject: Comfy
PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 4:06 pm 

I have one on my 90 Sandstone and it is very comfy. If you plan to do any longer trips it is a huge upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 4:56 pm 

I have one on my TA.  I like it a lot, but then again, I have a corbin on my H-D, my BMW, my Buell...but, I have had each of them done specially for my butt.  On the TA, since I am 6'5" and 2 hunnert and 2 many lbs, I had them put the passenger set back an extra inch, kept the width at the front, and had an inch added to the height of the seat.  They don't charge any more for customs, but then you might have some issues upon resale.

I have ridden on Corbins for 20+ years.  The word is that you either love them, or hate them.  No compromise.   BTW, the heated option is great for us that ride year round.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm 

owww didnt know there was a heated one will have to look in too that thanks for your info

Post subject: Corbin Seat
PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 1:35 pm 

All the info I have heard echo exactly what YM said, they are very polarising - either you like 'em or hate 'em.

I would love to try one out before I buy one, so if anyone in Brissie hs one on their Transalp (yeah right!) feel ree to drop me a line!

Anyone tried the seat covers like they do for the KLR???

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2010, 9:55 am 

Glad I found this thread... maybe one or more of you can answer a nagging question.

Corbin lists a seat for '89-94 Transalps.  I just bought a '96.  Doing a little research, I can't find that Honda changed anything that would effect the seat between '94 and '96, but when I asked Corbin, they stayed firm on their seats only working through '94, and the girl couldn't tell me what was different, as they hadn't had another TA in their shop to see.

I asked my (Italian) mechanic, he's really good about knowing almost anything about any type of motorcycle, and he thinks a '94 seat would fit on my '96.

So, does anyone on here know for sure?  I'd kinda like to be sure before I plunk down 4 C-notes.  Alternately, if anyone has an extra seat-pan from a '96 I can buy, maybe I can send Corbin the seat pan and they could go from there.

As I'm in Italy, taking the bike by the Corbin shop isn't really an option.

Thanks in advance for any info you all can provide.

1984 Honda VF1100C Magna (stored)
1996 Honda XL600V Transalp

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 5:10 am 

I'm in Tustin, CA & also would like to sit on one before I buy. Is anyone nearby who has one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 5:31 pm 

I'm glad it came with the bike when I bought it and it feels like it was customed made just for me. Very comfy and I don't have to tiptoe on my TA. :lol:

PostPosted: November 20th, 2011, 3:39 am 

Well, the love or hate thing does sound about right. I bought a new Corbin for my TA ('97) and it fits perfectly.As a matter of fact, it fits much better than the original. Gives you the feeling that the bike is more "rigid" in a way. The problem is that the comfort diminished dramatically. :( My wife hates it, she thinks its really uncomfortable. The seat positions you at a specific spot, and you can't do anything about it. :evil: You can't move back or front, and in long rides I want to be able. I tried to ad more foam, with some success, and I ended up remodeling the original. I am thinking about selling it, since the only upgrade that it gives to my bike is the looks, and I admit it looks great.. :( I just don't know what to ask for it :dizzy:

PostPosted: November 21st, 2011, 10:13 pm 

Bought a corbin for my '89. Compared to the stock seat it is night and day. My stock seat was right up there with riding a 2x4. Torture. The corbin is much better. Corbin claims it takes 2000 miles for break-in. Mine has about 1500 and I'm not feeling much difference. I think that maybe the riding position of the Alp doesn't allow a whole lot of movement fore and aft on the seat causing a little discomfort after a few hours in the saddle. Rode some pretty hammered paved rodes in Norcal Trinity Alps last summer and after 4 to 5 hours in the saddle I was ready to call it a day. I was fine the next day (not sore) but I really expected it to be a bit better. I have a new Corbin on my BMW k1200 rs and it is much better than the ALP corbin. It is much easier to move on the rs and i can ride it all day and not even think about the seat. Wish I could say the same about the ALP Corbin. It is still much better than stock. My 2 cents!
mike

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 9:42 am 

All y'all know that you can special order a Corbin to fit you. My TA seat has a larger rider's seat, (smaller pillion) is a bit taller and wider than the stock corbin, because I'm a larger, taller and wider than stock rider. The stock TA Corbin feels to low, to confining, and too narrow by my standard.

I have called Corbin for each of my seats and told them about me, my riding style, desires and such. Served me well.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 7:57 am 

Watch out for the Corbin seats,,, see below link.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... years.html

PostPosted: December 8th, 2013, 6:27 am 

I have had a couple of Corbins on various bikes in the US and loved them all. I have a 2004 TA and Corbin dosen't make a seat for it. I contacted them in California about making me one. I am living in eastern Turkey at the moment, so I bought a used seat on ebay UK, they shipped it to Corbin. They will make my new seat from the used pan and ship it to me here.
This process is a little time consuming and pricey, but based on my past experiences with their products, well worth it.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2013, 9:02 am 

Howdy-

I just bought a Corbin for my '04.

As you know, Honda (in their infinite wisdom) never imported this year into the US.
I talked to Mike and I ended up buying a used seat on ebay UK. Those folks were nice enough to send it to Corbin
in California.

Mike's master seat builder Julio built a seat to my specs working with me via emails.
I just paid for it and it will be sent tomorrow.

Living in eastern Yurkey everything is a hassle and must be brought in from great distances. Mike was great to
work with and I certainly would recommend them.

This is the 3rd seat I've bought from them over the years and everyone of them was a joy for my boney butt.

If anyone wants to see the photo Corbin sent me of the seat, I would be happy to forward it to you.

Cheers!