www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently January 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New TA-AT Conversion
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 7:00 pm 

Hi Fellow TA owners,

I recently as of the beginning of this year bought a TA sight unseen from Perth in Western Australia to a view of grabbing this incredible machine and meeting up with my brother and riding it across Europe next year.

I have always wanted a TA, ever since I first owned an adventure-style bike, having owned a few XTZ'z and a KLR. I think the Honda was just a more refined and civilised machine to do long distance touring on, and it came with such a enviable reputation for reliability.

So, finding one in the classifieds in WA (like 3600 km away by direct flight) and for not much money (AUD$1500), I jumped at it. The ad stated the bike had been serviced every 2000km and I had no reason to dispute the seller - I asked for additional photos and they came back ok.

It cost me AUD$765 to have the bike shipped over by a bike transport company, which considering the distance (over 5000km by road) was not too bad. Anyway, when I got it home, the condition of the bike was a different story than what the seller told me - it was like it was a different bike.

The list of the stuff missing off the bike when I got it:
Bash plate
Thermo fan
Rear rack
Rear footpegs
Rear footpeg brackets
Exhaust heat shields
Bottom bracket for side fairings

Stuff on the bike that was defective:
Both side fairings were badly cracked
Front mudguard badly cracked
Rear mudguard broken off
Exhaust headers badly corroded and full of pinholes
Muffler was rotten internally
Both side covers badly cracked
Handlebars bent
Frame badly corroded
Fork seals non-existent
Spokes on both wheels heavily corroded

The only good part on the bike was the recenly recovered seat.

In other words, the bike was a f*^king mess, and the seller has basically pulled the woll over my eyes - it was a case of caveat emptor I'm afraid.

Anyway I rode it for a week and then decided I would do a complete ground-up resto on it, and convert it to a AT - A big thanks here to Jeff for providing the inspiration and the help! So we stripped out everyting to bare frame, and this is what we found:

The frame was completely stripped and sent off to the powdercoaters, as was the swingarm and other bits on the bike that would be attached to the frame and exposed to the elements. This is what it looked like when it came back:

And the box of bits including newly sourced rear footpeg brackets from eBay Global (Germany):

While all this was going on - eBay Global was entrusted to source all the parts we needed to do the conversion, and replace the parts that were either defective or missing. It panned out to be an absolute goldmine of AT and TA parts - and relatively cheap too.

AT Seat from the UK:

Inner rear guard and ductail from Austria:

AT side Fairings from Italy:

Side covers from Germany:

So, as we stripped eveything out, we had a close look at the engine. It was using oil, and probably done more than the claimed 35,00km - more like 135,000 km as we believe it has been around the clock. Other than this, it was running ok:

And all the bits and pieces laid out on the bench:

More to come.....

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 12:53 pm 

Great to see another TA - AT project

Keep it coming  :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 2:23 pm 

Thats going to look awesome when your done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 5:43 pm 

Thanks Guys, post again soon!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 12:59 pm 

A curse on the seller. Very brave rebuild - well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 6:17 am 

o mate that seller was a right pxxxk but as soon as your finished it will be worth it i will be starting my rallye alp again soon now i have sum cash i will keep you posted let us know how your getting along thanks mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

That Bastard.. (Sorry Maybe we can get somone to beat him up for you?)

JK

However I'm making this a "STICKY"
Post we need to see the final result

keep up the great work!

Russ

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is based on sources I believe reliable, or I just made up, so its accuracy is not guaranteed.  Commentary by "Russ Grover." expresses his opinion and not those of "Honda Motor Company".   There is No Warranty for any advice or Opinion given by Anyone on this forum. (Note: This Disclaimer can change at any Moment.)

Post subject: And on with the story...
PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 2:30 am 

Thanks Russ for making this a sticky! Also thanks for the offer, but it will all work out for the best in the end I am sure. It will be a long time before I buy another bike sight unseen though.

Anyway, back to the build...

The Frame was now back from the powdercoaters, and it looked slick - real slick. So slick I didnt want to mess it up by putting an engine in there. My thoughts turned to the other components that needed to be stripped down, cleaned and parts replaced. As I mentioned earlier, the fork seals were non existent, so I decided to start there.

I purchased a new set of fork and dust seals, and luckily for me they are readily available, and come as a set. I also decided to try my luck with a bit of modification in the form of valving for the forks. After talking to a few guys on the ADV forum (sorry Russ), especially Ray (Ladder106), who is a really top bloke, he encouraged me to try a set of Intiminators from Ricor Shocks - so I did. They were about AUD$330 delivered to my door and Don from Ricor was very good with comminication and getting them to me without delay.

The fit on top of the valve body under the springs, and stop brake dive and give a much more compliant and controllable ride. I will give you a ride report on them later.

As you can see from the photo, this is what I had to work with. The fork gaiters had long since gone, and the oil seals and dust seals were well past their use-by date. As you can also see, the lower triple clamp was as corroded as the rest of the bike - what a mess!

Anyway, each fork was stripped down to its basic elements. The spring free-length was measured and both found to be within spec. The lower fork leg was scrubbed and scrubbed to get the ground in dirt and surface corrosion out of the alloy. I have to mention here about the fork oil that came out of each leg - OMG! The initial bit that came out was like clear water, and the last bit that came out was just black sludge! It was my guess that the fork oil had never been replaced in the 23 year history of the bike - I kid you not! :shock:
With both fork legs fully cleaned and checked, Initminators installed, new Motul 5W fork oil, new fork oil seals and dust seals and fully reassembled, and with the Ricor stickers now taking pride of place over the Showa ones, they were put aside pending fitment up to the bike.

Now my attention turned to the rear shock. It was in equally poor condition. I totally disassembled the rear shock unit, and checked the spring free length measurement - well within spec thank god! :wink:  I sent the shock unit off to get the valving tested as it might be shagged inside and need either rebuilding or replacing. It came back AOK, so that was a relief! Now, I think the rear shock is fine for what I am doing, so no need to replace just yet, but Ricor do make a rear unit for the Transalp, so that may be on the shopping list.

I made sure the rear spring looked good - after sending it off to get blasted, I gave it a nice slick coat of gloss red enamel.

And then I reassembled the whole rear unit.

While all this was going on, one of my orders was ready for pickup - bearings! Every single bearing in the bike was replaced with new units. It was no use rebuilding the bike from the ground up and using old parts!

The radiators were next, and the overflow bottle. The overflow bottle was so full of gunk, its a wonder that there was any room for the water  :shock: I used Kero, CLR and all manner of solvents to get the gunk out, and succeeded in getting it looking near new - you can just see it in the background behind the spring.

Turning my attention to the radiators - they must hold pressure as I rode the bike for one test ride and they held the temp ok. So I decided to strip them and repaint them. A mate of mine gave me some of this solvent stuff that he used for air conditioning condenser coils - and it worked a treat. You spray it on and it foams up and strips the paint right off without damaging the alloy.
After a couple of coats of radiator black, they came up a treat, even though on had a slight dent (see previous pick, behind the rear coil). About this time the radiator fan arrived from Ireland, delivered to my door for the princely sum of AUD$45. I also decided to scrub all the coolant hoses and pipes as they were just covered in crud! I also replaced the thermostat - but this wasnt cheap - AUD$107 from the local Honda dealer!

So,
Cooling system cleaned - check
Forks rebuilt - check
Rear Shock rebuilt - check
What next, lets do the wheels then. And this I will show you in the next installment.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject: Dream rebuild
PostPosted: August 6th, 2010, 2:48 am 

Hi there,

as a novice TA owner, this is the stuff of dreams.

I hope you don't mind but I've posted a link on xrv.org.uk

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/4 ... post487393

I'm avidly following it

Cheers

Giles

Post subject: Link
PostPosted: August 6th, 2010, 5:18 pm 

Hi Giles,

Thanks for the kind words.

I dont mind at all if you post the link to XRV.org. Might help someone else out there. So thanks for that.

Update soon.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 9:25 am 

It`s certainlly going to help me ,I`ve just bought a1996 alp having only been told by the seller that it`s in good nick for the year,my mate picked it up and rode to my daughters house in South Wales for me and said it looked really smart and sounded great,but the bikes in the South Wales and I now live in Mallorca. So the plan is to get back to the UK late Sept a good check and service pile on any spares and bring it back to Mallorca to play with.
What`s the deal with the Africa twin tank and fairing?and do you need the seat aswell for the conversion?
            I like the look of the rally fairing :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Post subject: Re: Dream rebuild
PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 3:33 pm 

GilesMDavis wrote:
Hi there,

as a novice TA owner, this is the stuff of dreams.

I hope you don't mind but I've posted a link on xrv.org.uk

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/4 ... post487393

I'm avidly following it

Cheers

Giles

Hi Giles,
I like your adress (South Wales, UK not Australia).
Does this mean your location should correctly be described as "Old South Wales"?.
Cheers
Tim.

PS: You might like to have a look at my thread entitled "Progress Report From Australia". It details my cheap and cheerful rebuild of a basket case TA which I acquired in late January this year.
I will extract the digit and post a few further photos, as the bike is now completed.

Post subject: Update - August 2010
PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 7:57 pm 

Okay Boys and Girls,

Time for a bit more of an update...

Like we posted last time, it was time to tackle the wheels. They were ecovered in years of shite - especially the rear as it looked like it hadn't had years of chain lube cleaned off it. I stripped the rims of their tyres, and then on close inspection, decided to get the rims respoked as most, if not all the spokes had corroded very badly. So, I cut the spokes off with a set of bolt cutters (wont be needing them anymore), sent the hubs off to be powdercoated, cleaned and polished the rims, and them got them respoked with a gauge thicker stainless steel spokes and nipples.

Then, once they were finished, I took them off to Tyres 4 Bikes and got them shod with Dunlop D606's back and front. Truthfully, they almost look like new.

Now that the wheels had been done, it was time to install new wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearings.

While this was being done, and I was waiting for the wheels to come back from the wheelwright, I turned my attention to the engine. I cleaned it up and gave it a new coat of paint, I cleaned the carbies as well, and replaced everything that looked like it needed replacing. The engine came up a treat.
Before, sitting on the work bench:

After a good clean and scrub and first coat (gives you an idea how compact this power unit is):
And after a good 2nd coat of paint:

While the engine was out, the valves were adjusted, and the plugs replaced. Now, you may not believe me when I say how abused this engine was. So, I will prove it. Here is a photo of the spark plugs that I removed. These were the (relatively) easy to get to ones on the rear cylinder:

And these were the front cylinder ones. The one with the electrode completely worn away is (get this) the original NGK spark plug from the factory - 23 years ago!! How do we know, the font and colour of the NGK logo has changed since these plugs were first introduced.

Now that the engine was as good as I could get it, new plugs, valves adjusted and water pipe O-rings replaced etc, it was time to put it back into the bike. I enlisted help from my brother Chris and my good mate Russ to get it in there. While Russ held the frame, Chris and I manhandled the engine into the frame - while we took great care to cover the frame as best we could, we still put a scratch on it - oh well, at least it looks a 100% on what it was.

Oh, and here's a tip - dont forget to mount the chain before you put the swingarm in:

More soon!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update (This is another Russ not the Russ that is holding it?)

Anyway it's ok if you mention Avid rider

The reason I started this forum is to ARCHIVE things for the Transalp.

I was on a Email list and people seemed to ask the same questions over and over again..

A forum is search able... :)

Thanks it's looking good
Russ

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is based on sources I believe reliable, or I just made up, so its accuracy is not guaranteed.  Commentary by "Russ Grover." expresses his opinion and not those of "Honda Motor Company".   There is No Warranty for any advice or Opinion given by Anyone on this forum. (Note: This Disclaimer can change at any Moment.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 5:13 pm 

Thanks Russ, I will update again soon.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 4:09 pm 

Hi Tricky,
Reading your thread I see you bought a thermo fan from Ireland.  I sourced a left side radiator from a wrecker in Ireland who I found on eBay.  Perhaps both our bikes now share a bit of the same DNA?
I've finished my project for the time being.  I have put a build report under the heading "Progress Report from Australia" on this site.
Have put about 1000 ks on it so far, and I'm planning a run up the Birdsville Track as far as the Cooper Creek crossing to have a look at the ferry in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting.
Cheers
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 2:14 pm 

Hey Tim,

I too have finished my build, its got I suppose about the same kilometres on it as yous.

Its entirely possible our bikes could be brothers, literally, with components from the same donor.

I have had a look at your thread and I really like what you have done with your bike - it looks a little more modern now - vis supermoto!

Have fun going to Bridsville - I get the track rports from there from time-to-time and they have all been closed of late. Take care and ride safe.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 11:01 pm 

Hi again Tricky.
The Department of Transport currently has closed the Marree to Lyndhurst road due to creek crossings.
In late August last year I drove a current E Class Benz down that road, on cruise at $1.20 all the way.  It is 1/3 sealed now, and the remainder is ready for sealing, even so, it is still impassible today.
Shows how much rain we have had in the past few weeks.
Of course, the Birdsville Track is closed, and the ferry is not running.
Good thing about going up soon is that the roos won't be concregating at the roadsides with all the standing water about (hopefully).
I've got my fingers crossed hoping the concensus for next years ADV Honda V Twin meeting is at Arkaroola (will make life easy for me!). Please vote ARK 1.
Cheers
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 1:24 pm 

Hi Tim,

Voted ARK 1 - makes no difference to me as its still a helluva long way for me!!  :wink:

How did the trip go - did you get back in one piece??

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject: Update - November 2010
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 2:22 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about the lack of updates with regards to the build thread - both Glenn and I have been insanely busy orgainising our 'Big Ride' for next year, to raise money for breast cancer.

If you would like to know more, go to our website, and if you feel so inclined, you can always donate via the donate page:
http://www.thepinkwayround.com.au

Anyway, enough free advertising, its time for an update...

In the last episode things were coming together nicely with the engine given a sprucing, and the wheels respoked and trued, and the front suspension done. Now its time to put it all back together. With the rear swingarm overhauled and powdercoated, and now installed along with all the suspension bits, it was time to tackle the front suspension.

Firstly, I inserted all new bearing cups into the head stem, and used new bearings allround - fully preloaded with grease of course. The upper and lower triple clamps when off to the powdercoaters to get done in satin black and silver, as did the bar clamps (Note: in hindsight this was a silly thing to do. The heat at which they baked the powdercoating on, on the upper triple clamp, affected the rubbe bushings where the bar clamps bolt into, causing one side to be slightly different to the other).

While this was being done, I re-installed the electrics. Honda's are pretty easy to install as the loom and plugs have a totally pragamtic way they have to go in. So no confusion there, plus I took plenty of pics just in case. All connectors were cleaned and all the wiring checked. When it all goes back together, I will use dielectric grease on each connection.

Also while this was being done, I sent away to Seal Savers in the US for some fork slider covers for the front forks to protect the fork seals. These covers are made from neoprene rubber and protect the fork seals far better than the old plastic bellows type. And they were cheap - like waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy cheaper than what I had anticipated - About AUD$27 posted to Oz.

Here is a pic of the front suspension mounted. I decided to mount the fender as well as the front wheel. I really like how the Seal Savers make the bike look a little bit more modern (?). Its starting to look like a bike again now. The front fender was via a guy from the forum, Rod Theobold, who had one spare and sent it over - thanks Rod!!

Because I liked the front wheel in position so much, I decided to install the rear as well - fat!! I bought a new chaingaurd that had the word 'Transalp' laser cut into it from a site in Germany. The old plastic one was rubbish. Plus, new chain sliders and swingarm protector - sweet!!

I then turned my attention to the exhaust. My original set of headers were toast - badly corroded and full of pinholes. I searched around for a 2nd hand set in the US, but freight was going to kill me. Finally I got onto an inmate here, who gave me a lead to another guy on the ADV forum, who led me to another guy, who had a set. For a very small sum, I had the set freighted up from Melbourne - thanks Marshall! They were 100% on my old set. I then sent them off to get them ceramic coated inside and out, so the corrosion problem never happens again!! No need to tell you which one is which!

Then I turned my attention to a new exhaust. The old one was completely rotten inside - no baffles and looked like crap. I wanted an original but new Transalp exhaust if I could get one. I tried to get an original, but none availabkle, so I decided to go aftermarket. I had a look online at a place called The Bikers Warehouse in Sydney. After stalking their website for a couple of weeks, a brand new Yoshimura R3 came up for sale in the clearance section - sold!!! I got the whole muffler sent to me with freight included for AUD$220 - RRP on this muffler was AUD$499. Bargain of the century!

More to come very soon...

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 3:08 pm 

archangel007 wrote:
Hi Tim,

Voted ARK 1 - makes no difference to me as its still a helluva long way for me!!  :wink:

How did the trip go - did you get back in one piece??

Cheers,
Tricky

Hi Tricky,
I finally got away on the Coopers Creek run about three weekends ago.
Friday: Adelaide to Quorn, 90% on dirt.
On the Saturday Quorn to Hawker via Partacoona, all on dirt, then up the tar to Blinman and down the Parachilna Gorge. Persistent rain and low cloud most of the way.
By the time I got to Lyndhurst I was wet through, but with only 80 kms to go, was looking for a Bundy.
Heading North out of Lyndhurst I was watching the thunderheads pass through and thinking I might pass between two rain storms.
Idiot me completely failed to think about the state of the road after these squalls.
About 20km short of Marree the road turned to porridge. 8 inches to a foot of saturated clay, nicely carved up by the 4WDs that were snaking their way through it, barely keeping on the made road.
About 200 metres into this the front end decided to follow the track of the previous 4WD and down we went.
Tore the bolt holding the right footpeg and brake lever clean off, with the balance of the thread jammed in the frame.
Disconnected the back brake etc and lashed it to the bike.
Then walked alongside of the bike whilst it was running for about 400 metres up an incline and over a cattle grid.
Involuntary evacuation of bowels as I slipped the clutch and tip toed over the grid which had gaps about 250 mm wide, and my boots by this time had about 200 mm of built up mud under them.
Stopped; looked up the road and as far as the horizon, more of the same shite.
Like a true adventure rider I chickened out. Slowly got the bike turned around and then back across the grid and 600 metres walking, with the bike virtually bogged most of the way before the surface improved enough to ride out, with my right boot hanging on the passenger footpeg.
I assumed that even if I had got to Marree, the Birdsville Track would have been closed in any event.
Spent a night in a donga at the Lyndurst roadhouse.  Had a 2 day old pie and sausage roll for dinner (fantastic) and over to Rowdy & Dells for half a dozen soothing Bundys, feeling like a total failure.
The road train drivers from Moomba who were having dinner made me feel a bit better.  They were discussing how they were the last to actually get down the Strez that afternoon, and how many of their mates were bogged out there.
Next day was bright and sunny, so I went the back way down the old Ghan line throught Beltana and the Morolana Scenic route near Wilpena to Quorn. Overnighted there and back down the dirt to Adelaide.
All up I did 1500 km in 4 days on a bike that has cost me about $1,300, and, barring the mishap had a fantastic and comfortable ride.  It did use about 3 litres of oil however, so when the rego runs out it's in for a major birthday.  I figure it's a keeper.
Next time I won't be trusting crossover tyres; I'm thinking 606's might improve my chances a bit.
Will you be doing the Birdsville run in April?
Cheers
Tim

Post subject: The Birdsville
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 8:13 pm 

Hey Tim,

That is a wonderful yarn, and it wouldnt be complete without some pics.

Yes, this year the Birdsville was totally crap. Had some mates who went out for the races, got flooded in, missed the races (read: cancelled) and then had a long hard slog home over some absolutely sinister roads.
All good fun but...

I wont be doing the Birdsville in April, sorry Tim. Glenn and I fly out for London on the 27th April, and the bikes have to be shipped over well before that. Shipping date is expected to be Mid-March at this point in time. It takes 44 days by sea to get the bikes to Southampton. So I will be bikeless for six weeks before we are united again in Ol' Blighty.

But I will be thinking of you guys, and wishing you the best - and especially a dry Birdsville Run this year.

Now, how about those pics...

Cheers,
Tricky

Last edited by archangel007 on November 17th, 2010, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Marree Trip
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 8:27 pm 

Tricky,
I have a few pics on the home computer. Will get busy.
Of course, whilst I was farnarkling around in the mud, the last thing on my mind was cleaning my hands and getting the camera out; you will just have to take my word as to how inhospitable it was.

I've missed out on your plans for the UK trip.
How much is freight?
How long are you away?
Where are you going?

Last year I sold a mint 1987 BMW K75 to Ross Naylor from European Motorcycle Adventures (who are based in Aust): He flew the bike to Italy where he runs his tours, and uses it every time he goes over there (still on AU registration).  When it's not being used it lives in Dusseldorf, so 23 years after leaving Germany, the dear old bike returns to Die Farterland.
I plan to go over (possibly next year) and take it for a run.

Post subject: One Helluva Trip
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 9:03 pm 

Hey Tim,

Pics when you are ready Ol' Son.

The plan is to ride from London to Singapore, 20,000km in 3 months. We are doing it to raise money for breast cancer research, support and awareness. Its a long story how Glenn and I got involved but its all explained on the website. Go here for an in depth look at what we are doing:
http://www.thepinkwayround.com.au

To answer your questions:
1) Freight for the two bikes Brisbane to Southampton - AUD$350 crated(this does not include customs clearance the other end, expect to pay about AUD$450-500 for this)

2) Just on 3 months - depart April 27th, return July 16th

3) The list is long and distinguised. It incudes cities like Paris, Rome, Prague, Kiev, Bucharest, Istanbul, New Delhi, Bangkok etc etc. It also includes such scenic highlights as The Eiffel Tower (naturally), Chernobyl, the Stelvio Pass, The Transfagarasan Highway in Romania, The Karakorum Hwy and the Kunjareb Pass in Pakistan plus other highlights like the ruins of Troy and Ephesus in Turkey, Colloseum in Rome, Merv in Kazakhstan etc. So its going to be a who's who of a trip. I cant wait.
Here is the Google maps link to it:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105980532847476745257.00049492862dad0033056&start=44&num=200&ll=2.482133,102.524414&spn=7.929306,6.9104&z=7

We are going to make a doco on it as well, to hopefully market with all proceeds going to charity.

Dont worry about missing out on this one - we will be doing London to Capetown via Spain and Morocco next....

Nice homecoming for that Beemer, I like that!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 9:33 pm 

'k me Tricky. I can't even get to bloody Marree.
Good Luck.
I will keep tabs on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 12:19 pm 

Tricky,
As directed I have put up a ride report with pics in that forum.
Now, let's see if this works............
http://www.transalp.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5639

By the way, love the Minilites on the Mini.
Cheers
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 1:21 am 

I have posted a reply to your post Tim.

Loved it!

Post subject: Re: New TA-AT Conversion
PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 3:38 pm 
Deputy Admin

Great build thread :)

“Behold the pale horse and the man who sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.”

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 11:26 am 

Scottishbiker wrote:
Great build thread :)

Hello stranger! Where the heck have you been hiding?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:28 pm 

Great thread, as the owner of a new-to-me 89 Transalp I'm learning heaps!

I love the look of the seal savers... I did some research, but I was wondering what size you got?

Cheers

Matt

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:48 pm 

mattj wrote:

I love the look of the seal savers... I did some research, but I was wondering what size you got?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt, welocme to the club.
If you have a look on ADVrider you will find an international and an Australian thread about Honda V Twins. There is a bloke up Newcastle way called Thunder Dan who is a real whiz at these things and he posts on both.
Cheers, Tim

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39170
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384629

PostPosted: July 18th, 2012, 12:14 am 

mattj wrote:

Cheers

Matt

G'day Matt,

And yes, welcome to the throng!!

The Sealsavers are a great product and definitely do what they say - keeps all manner of crap outta those seals.

I bought the 1 1/2" ones which fit the Transalp pretty well!.

I thought I might as well post up some new pics of Tobermory very soon....

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 9:35 am 
Site Admin

It really makes me feel good when someone has the time, energy and money to restore old cars and Motorcycles...

Bravo! :yhclap:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 1:37 am 

Thanks Russ, me too.

For what they are, they are a wonderful, capable, reliable and comfortable bike that combine somehow old world charm and modern aesthetics - I love 'em!!

Anyhoo, time for some pics of the end result, and please, please understand the final colour and WHY we chose it.

The whole end-game for choosing a Transalp in the first place, was to do a charity ride to raise money for breast cancer research and care for breast cancer sufferers.

We sent off all the panels for both bikes to be painted, both Russ' TRansalp (Bruce) and my Transalp (Tobermory) got the same paint scheme so they would be identical. In the end they didnt turn out identical, as I went with the seal savers and Ricor suspension while Russ just stayed with the stock fork gaitors and stock springing. I must say, that with the Ricor suspension, the bike stopped better, turned sharper and had better road manners than Russ' bike - laden or unladen!!!

So, it was time to upgrade the bikes to 'Touring Spec' and put them back together:

Daytona heated grips:

New levers:

New mirrors:

New Renthal Gold bars:

Me, Tricky, rewiring the Barry for fan over-ride, spotlights, heated grips, 12VDC outlets (both switched and unswitched). Tobermory is standing there pateintly in the background, finished, sporting his new colours - pink on pink - for breast cancer and our major beneficiary to our fund raising efforts The Kim Walters Choices program:

Posing for the camera (what a mug!!):

Testing the 10watt hi-intensity LED driving lights (man, do they make a difference at night or what!!)

GPS, a Zumo 220, installed and hard-wired into the bikes accessory fuse box (new):

And some pics of Tobermory, finished, prior to sponsors logos going on, with the latest in Hepco and Becker luggage, engine bars and pannier racks etc . He is still waiting on new pink barkbusters and his bash plate which was in the shed getting reinforced with layers of carbon fibre and fibreglass:

And here is the major beneficiaries official logo taking pride of place on the tank:

Pivot pegs installed:

Daytona heated grips control and 12VDC switched outlet (comes on with ignition):

The other side, fan over-ride and 12VDC unswitched outlet (fused directly from the battery):

Enduristan tank bag (sorry, forgot I had this photo) - awesome tank bag and thoroughly recommended):

ST1100 big disc front brake upgrade - man does she stop now. Also, I have a hard-on for the Dunlop D606 back and front - great all-purpose tyres:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 1:51 am 

And finally, some pics of Toby with the sponsors logos on the bike - and thanks to all our sponsors who got involved - Continental Tyres, Barkbusters, Pivotpegz, Contour cameras, JVC video cameras, Federal (Deka) batteries, K2 Expedition Equipment and PPG paint.

And so, after a few months riding through Europe, raising money for the cause, Toby still has 'only' 31k kilometres on the clock:

And here's me, with the big novelty cheque, with the Managing Director and Fundraising Manager of the Kim Walters Choices prgramme. WE managed to raise $25,000 to help women (and men) with breast cancer. Notice the tie - its the same colours as the bikes. I must say one of my more proudest moments - we helped a very worthy cause!!!

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 1:55 am 

And thanks everyone for taking an interest, and finally, a very special thanks to Russ Grover, for hosting this site that gives so much enjoyment and shares so much information to others - you are a helluva guy Russ, dont EVER change!! :D

GO TRANSALP!!

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Wow I'm not into Pink but I'd even ride that That's SWEET!
:yhclap:
Is there a Link we can donate to?

Russ

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 9:52 pm 

Hi Russ,

Thanks for that!

Completed the ride June 2011, and we have closed down the paypal and direct debit account, so no.

But if you feel the need, donate to your nearest breast cancer research or support network in your capital city - it all makes a difference.

Thanks,
Tricky

PostPosted: September 5th, 2012, 7:46 am 

Nice and Brilliant!!
:blast: chuck

Attachments:
1[5].jpg
1[5].jpg [ 47.37 KiB | Viewed 16008 times ]

It's not raining, YET!
No such thing as a 5 minute job!
Roger, Wilco, and out....
Better to ask forgiveness, then permission
2000 BMW R1100RT
1973 TM125 Suzuki Motocrosser
1974 TM100 Suzuki
1973 ST90 Honda
1971 Z50A Honda mini-trail
1973 CT70 Honda
1975 XL70 Honda
1993 XR250L Dirt Animal!
1979 XR80 Honda (really nice wheelie machine!)
And of course, a 1989 Honda XL600V TA

PostPosted: September 6th, 2012, 2:16 am 

Thanks Chuck!

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 8:28 am 

This job needs another compliment. Great job and I like the Pink for Cancer its pink but not in your face. Its tastfully done. Secondly I really really like the LED auxillary lights mounted in the stock blinker fairing holes and the small stalk LED blinkers mounted above off the fairing. Well Done! Can you tell me the neoprene fork boot model and maker?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 7:01 pm 

Thanks Cory!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2012, 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Everytime I view this thread I'm like... :thud:

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 12:33 pm 

Hotmamaandme wrote:
This job needs another compliment. Great job and I like the Pink for Cancer its pink but not in your face. Its tastfully done. Secondly I really really like the LED auxillary lights mounted in the stock blinker fairing holes and the small stalk LED blinkers mounted above off the fairing. Well Done! Can you tell me the neoprene fork boot model and maker?

Not sure if I answered this in a PM or not, they are from SealSavers - http://www.sealsavers.com/

I just got the full length ones in black but they do them in numerous colours (have lime green on my KLX400!!)

Cheers and thanks for the kind words....

Tricky

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 11:39 am 

Not that I am sticking up for the person in Wa. that sold you the bike....but you did not really expect a really fine bike for AUD$1500 did you? I don't have a clue what that is today in USD but it sure is not what a good bike sells for.... I just bought a very nice, but 32,000 mile 1989 Transalp for $3000 (I know that is high but it was from a friend so I paid what he asked) I would think the average good condition bike here would sell for something like $2300 to $3500 depending on condition and accessories.

Your rebuild was first class and you now have a really fine Transalp... It is a shame that the Washington guy was not a bit more honest about his description...

Joel

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 11:48 am 

I just looked up what AUDS$1500 is today USD $1340 and it was probably less when you bought it... I am not being critical, all I am saying is if something sounds too good to be true.....then it probably is

PostPosted: September 12th, 2014, 9:36 am 

quick question, you may be able to answer...

will these fit a 1996 Transalp ?

http://www.perfect-fairings.com/en/products/show/honda--africa-twin-rd07-96-03-pair-of-rear-side-cowls_55

PostPosted: September 13th, 2014, 6:47 am 

I doubt very much if these would fit, but with a lot of work anything can happen. Out of curiosity, why would you want to put these on a 96 TA?

89 Transalp XL600V X3, 01 Goldwing GL1800, 99 Varadero XL1000V
05 CRF450X Plated, 01 XR650L, 84 Passport C70

PostPosted: January 7th, 2016, 8:53 pm 

Hi Forumites,

Wow, this thread is still going - excellent!

I sold the Transalp to a guy from Melbourne, Australia for $3,500 - I think he got a bargain. He said one of the main reasons why he bought it is because of the pink livery - he likes different I guess. I hope he is putting many miles on Toby!

The other bike ended up going back to its original owner, Russ, and he still has Barry to this day!!

I now have sold my KLX400 and gone back to my Adventure Touring roots by buying another Kawasaki Tengai (sorry Russ G!) - I have always liked them like I have always liked the TA! This is my 2nd Tengai!

I just today, sold all my spare parts for the Transalps that I had accumulated for the trip and never used - including some NIB CDI units, plugs, levers etc....That's the reason I thought I would come back here and see what was going on after so many years!

Anyway, keep the shiny side up and happy trails. I am always open to receiving PM's or emails if you want to know anything about the build. I plan to do something similar to my Tengai if you wanted to tag along.

Cheers and thanks,
Tricky

P.S. Yep Joel, you are dead right, you get what you pay for!

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 11:34 pm 

Just had another flick through this thread. It's great to see people doing stuff like this, and great to hear that others are learning from what you did earlier. Good luck with the Kwaka build Tricky. (edit) I forgot to say, Well done on the fund raising effort too. (edit)