www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently January 17th, 2018, 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Extra driving lights
PostPosted: August 19th, 2014, 12:49 pm 

Apologies if I'm asking a question that's already been answered but here goes.

With Winter and darker nights approaching, I'm thinking of extra driving lights for the old 'Alp (and my old eyes). LED seems to be the way to go and I was wondering if any of you have any experience / recommendations / advice you can share.

Thanks.

Neil.

Post subject: Re: Extra driving lights
PostPosted: August 19th, 2014, 5:32 pm 

Neil G wrote:
Apologies if I'm asking a question that's already been answered but here goes.

With Winter and darker nights approaching, I'm thinking of extra driving lights for the old 'Alp (and my old eyes). LED seems to be the way to go and I was wondering if any of you have any experience / recommendations / advice you can share.

Thanks.

Neil.

Hi Neil,
This is the set (Dually Spot) I installed a couple of years ago and hasn't given me any issues.
http://www.rigidindustries.com/products/led-lighting/d-series

Only draws 20 watts......I installed them on the crash bars. It can also be installed under the headlight with a DIY bracket.

I found the lowest price on ebay.......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigid-Industries-D-Series-Dually-LED-Spot-Pair-/201003182021?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eccb927c5&vxp=mtr

Good luck!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2014, 1:57 pm 

I just stop at dusk. Seems to have cured the night vision thing. Besides settling in and having a pint is much more relaxing.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2014, 5:25 pm 

As a shift worker (I got home about 2:30 this morning and will do so for the next 3) the bike's lighting is important to me, but I've found that it isn't a problem on my Transalp, and I ride about an 80km (50mi) round trip to work and back for each shift.
The issue I had when looking at LED is the weight of the heat sinks on the back of each light. Those big enough to throw a beam farther than the headlight on my '03 650 out-weigh the whole kit for either halogen of HID and on a bike that is an issue. The smaller ones don't throw much of a beam and I was told they are intended as worklights.
Bobby, what is the beam throw like on the LEDs you fitted? Longer and wider than your headlight or just more light in its own throw?

PostPosted: August 20th, 2014, 8:15 pm 

Bobby, what is the beam throw like on the LEDs you fitted? Longer and wider than your headlight or just more light in its own throw?

There are two choices for the Dually's Spot and Flood. I chose Spot it has a 10 degree pattern and projects the beam over a great distance. My Trucklite LED headlight has a wide pattern which lights up the sides and front of the bike. Riding in the streets of SF, I turn them both on during daytime and just use the headlight during the night.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2014, 12:52 pm 

when I bought my transalp I started looking at other transalps on the net and I decided I needed engine bars spotlights and a rear fog light and pannier boxes the bike came with givi pannier rails a different end can and the seat recovering and a stronger horn . nearly 2 years later and I have nearly everything on the list ticked off except the spot lights and the fog light . I have managed fine with out them . a new item on my list is an additional led stop/tail light to mount under the carrier/rack as a back up and for a stronger break light really in case my bulb blows the brake light element blew recently it was simple to change but I don't really like not having a break light usualy im good at checking to make sure its working but I have had a lot of anxiety recently and im not on my game how ever im not out to lunch enough to forget to check my oil /coolant and that my chain is well lubed /adjusted correctly . I might buy some cheap led marker lights just to make me more visible in the day time . recently I got my front wheel buried to the axel faceing down hill going around a barrier on a forestry track . all I could do was lay the bike down on the pannier rail and engine bar a pull the front wheel up out of the rut to free the bike if I had spot lights they probably would have got smashed . I still feel that I am incomplete and that im not one of the lads without spot lights bark busters and an alloy sump guard :lol:

PostPosted: August 24th, 2014, 6:55 pm 

alias wrote:
I still feel that I am incomplete and that im not one of the lads without spot lights bark busters and an alloy sump guard :lol:

That's what the sales people want. I guess that most of us, myself included, feel the same way about some mod parts or other, and that keeps the after market accessory industry going strong.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2014, 2:14 am 

Jackflash wrote:
alias wrote:
I still feel that I am incomplete and that im not one of the lads without spot lights bark busters and an alloy sump guard :lol:

That's what the sales people want. I guess that most of us, myself included, feel the same way about some mod parts or other, and that keeps the after market accessory industry going strong.

your dead right jack I was sucked in by all that I want I want I want kind of thinking im not as bad as I was . im getting better my most recent spate of it I was thinking of selling my 1990 transalp and putting some money to it to buy a mates 1990 Africa twin . I taught about it long and hard and in the end I decided that it didn't make sense and I couldn't bare to part with my transalp better the devil you know .

I have become quite attached to it and besides the Africa twin would be too much of a handful off road and it had no pannier boxes ( Saturday I needed both panniers and the top box to fetch some grocery's and beer from the supermarket ) the only added advantage was a bit more leg room but that comes with my feet not being firmly planted on the ground .

I have given up on the whole Africa twin idea for how much extra you get for your money is very little transalps are far and away better value for money less is more is very true . eventually I will probably replace the transalp with another transalp 600 with less miles on the clock but for the time being I will be keeping it as its joy to ride .

however I will keep on making practical little tweaks to it to personalise it for my own enjoyment I just remembered I also want some more substantial front foot pegs and a dics break rear wheel and swinging arm and a Honda cr 250 rear shock . but in the mean time new spark plugs air filter and set the valve clearances will come first .

my other bike I would like to own these days has become an early 90's Honda cb 750 I would like another air cooled 4 cylinder and they tick all the boxes for me just the right size not to big not too small with decent breaks and handleing and I think they look real good and hey its a Honda so you know its going to be good .

PostPosted: September 14th, 2014, 6:43 am 

As I mentioned above Alias I have to deal with the same longings. Currently I'm thinking about the CR rear shock and have already bought a KTM LC4 USD forks, Berringer 4 spot caliper and 300mm disc adaptor bracket to make it a Trans-Moto, but have yet to fit it. I currently need to overhaul the Pro-link as the rear has sideways play, and have just sent my '77 KZ750 twin engine to a bike mnechanic to get it built properly (I got it wrong, stuffed the assembly and wrecked the left cylinder) so the money is going elsewhere.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2014, 12:26 pm 

I at long last have day time running lights they are only marker lights mini led's only as big as a beer bottle cap and they only cost the price of a couple of pints of beer . I bought them on ebay uk from an ex transalp owner sound chap he is . I just wired them into the parking light circuit I took off the sides of the fareing for better access . then unplugged the wires from the bulb holder and melted some of the plastic cover with a ciggie lighter and striped the wires back and wound them around and smeared some Vaseline petroleum jelly over the joints to keep them from corroding and wraped them well in insulateing tape . I just bolted them into the radiator grill 2 spaces down and 2 spaces in . they look great day and night and wont blind anyone . im well pleased with them I also bought a led stop tail light that I will mount under the carrier just to have a spare light and stop lamp in case my bulb blows only 5 euro posted from china it hasn't got hear yet .

hi jack fine bikes the z750 twin a buddie had a lovely dark green one years ago I only saw it in the shed and it was a wet night out so I didnt bother trying to blag a little spin on it but when I heard it start up I was mad for a go . I would much prefer one to the Yamaha xs650 way better looking bike all together the xs looks puny beside them . in fact I must have a look now to see if any have gotten the café racer /street scrambler/flat tracker styling done on them .

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 3:26 am 

alias wrote:
in fact I must have a look now to see if any have gotten the café racer /street scrambler/flat tracker styling done on them .

They tend to be very poular for Cafe Racer conversions alias.
Cheers
Jack

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 9:56 am 

Is anyone install "daylight" in TA? Mine is YM 2001 and i think install a LED "daylights" Im very interested a photos or somethink else.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 11:07 pm 

I use Rigid dually led lights and it's on during daytime.
Sent from my Nokia 925
Tapatalk

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 1:13 am 

my spotlights are ordered cheap led bmw gs looking ones with the protective case outside off ebay only about $ 15 all I got to do now is figure out where to fit them so they don't get broken if I drop the bike . one of the little marker lights stopped working that helped me decide to push ahead and realise a dream I have had for a few years now and get the spotlights . I will probably get a 3 way switch for them on with head lights /off / on fed from the front parking light . with an inline fuse so I don't lose my taillight's . my intention is to be more visable not less :D

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 8:53 am 

Hello alias. Glad to see you are still with us.