www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently January 19th, 2018, 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Transplant
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 2:37 am 

This is more like my project diary, but all the mods I've done are (and will be) included. I'll add pics on the way...

I moved to NZ on 2.jan and after living here for a few mths I needed something to go to work and back with. But for me "go to work and back" is often not the straight line between A-B. Ü

I've had a few bikes in Finland, but here it makes way more sence to own one, than up there, where the season is five mths, tops, and taxes and insurances cost you an arm and a leg.

At first I was looking for a small 4wd or so, but quite soon I decided that it's a bike what I'm after. Looked at a couple of road Hondas, but I've always been a big fan of adveture bikes (thou I've never owned one) so I pretty soon started to look for a "dual purpose bike" on trademe.

I found this Transalp 1995 (VR so actually 94?) with a reasonable start price, bidded it but didn't meet the reserve. Called the owner and went to see it.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2062 times ]

Custom skid plate, heated grips, center stand and decent tires. Sounded a bit rough, but nothing too scary. Felt ok, but the owner kinda resisted to tell me his price.

He put it on trademe again and I found a way to find out the reserve. It was $3500 (nzd). While waiting, I almost bought an Yamaha ténéré, with all the spices you could imagine, but it was on South Island. Missus said "if you get the TA and put the money you would use for flights, gas, ferries and accomondation on the way home with the Yamaha to the TA, you'd get all the same spices to that, but you'd have to drive only an hour instead of two days". Wise woman.

So, I decided to buy the TA with $2500. I txtd the guy saying, "if you sell it with $2500, I'll come and get it now". He said he'll think about my offer. They were loooong few hrs! Then he got back to me saying "ok".

My friend drove me there and on the way there I txtd the guy, wether he had a helmet for me. Ü

Got the bike, soft panniers, pants and a jacket with the same money! Open face helmet, 80+ km/h and Transalp windshield are not a good combination. Man, I couldn't see a thing for my glasses were shaking so badly!

The next day I bought a real helmet and the next day some proper riding gear; boots, jacket and pants. The next day I rode 600kms and the next day back. During the first couple of weeks I got a couple of thousand miles to the clock.

While digging deeper to it (maintenance), I found an airfilter mod and an Öhlins rear shock / spring. And also found out that the tires were not as good as they first seemed to be...
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 2025 times ]

To be continued...

Last edited by neppi on October 7th, 2016, 1:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Transplant
PostPosted: September 24th, 2016, 10:11 pm 

Some tyres suit, others don't. Newish tyres with a little tread are usually safer than old, hard tyres with plenty of tread.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 6:44 pm 

The airfilter mod looked like this:
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 2033 times ]
It even had a sticker on it saying the name of the company who had done the mod! Unfortunately the foam had started to perish and was due to renew.

I found an airfilter mod from this forum (link anyone?) but couldn't find the unifilter anywhere without ordering and waiting. So I turned to my friend, Google, and found out that the part# given here was a Suzuki one. So, down the road again to the friendly Suzuki dealer, where this sweet girl sold me the part, for half of the price of the Unifilter. Here's the part:
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 2033 times ]
cut it and pulled it on, used grease to seal the edges and filter oil all over. Works a treat!

(I found out later that Uni-filter has a direct replacement for TA too! I'll switch to that after this filter dies!)

Last edited by neppi on September 26th, 2016, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 7:03 pm 

I did an oil change and was surprised to find the filter from the Super Cheap Auto. No ordering, it was there on the shelf. Not bad! I tried to find one of the car filters listed here that suit, but no go.

Used Mobil Delvac, as in my former bikes.

As I was working on it, I checked the spark plugs. The ones you can reach only, 'cause the spark plug tool was missing from my toolkit. Looked good so atleast something is burning there. Ordered the tool. Took two weeks to get here from Japan! Maybe it was a row boat courier they used, go figure...

I was scared as to check the output shaft, but once I got my act together and got down on it, everything turned out just fine! No excess wear, actually no wear at all! But the chain and sprockets were shot, so I ordered some new ones. And as I was there at the shop anyway, I bought a pair of rubbers. Went down the Shinko Trail Master -way (705?). The bike started behaving better with the new tires! Big difference!

Last edited by neppi on September 29th, 2016, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2016, 1:10 am 

The previous owner had added some daytime riding lights.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 2025 times ]
and they were buggered. The arms were broken on both sides and he had fixed them with toothpicks (!), number 8 wire, hot glue and electric tape. I first thought that I'll fix them with some more sophisticated method, but decided to replace them. Found a kit of four at a decent price at trademe (local eBay) and bought them. They were actually blinkers with orange lenses and my plan was just to replace the lenses with the old clear ones I got with the bike. But when they arrived I found out that there were removable filters under the clear lenses so I didn't have to reuse anything.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]

I bought a few LED bulbs from Jaycar and replaced the original park light and the new day-lights (pun?) with them. Super bright and wide! They help a lot in the dark. I also changed the rear bulb and the dash bulbs with LEDs. And while I was there I put this "light amp" in too. It's not actually an amp at all, but just a kit that contains thick wires straight from the battery, a couple of relays and a socket that plugs into the original driving ligh socket. Big difference! And I'll add a link right here. Transalp didn't originally come with any lighting relays and the wiring is rather long and thin, so this mod allowes a bit more Juice to move to the headlight.

And again, while I was there, I added a few more earthing points / cables all over the place, from battery - to the frame and the engine (starter motor mounting bolt). This improved the crancking, thou there wasn't nothing wrong with it in the first place.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
I also serviced the battery. It looks old enough to be the original, but I doubt that. Anyway, it has caps for adding water and check the acid, so that's what I did. Seemed ok, so moved on to the next line on my list...

Last edited by neppi on April 10th, 2017, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2016, 1:35 am 

I'm 180cm (dunno what's that in miles, sorry) and I have long legs, so I've been looking for a pair of lowering footpegs. They seem to be made out of gold and appear only on the other side of the world, so while still hunting, I just unbolted the rubbers off the original footpegs.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
That helped a tad. I also bought a pair of risers for the bar to help me sit more straight. Good purchase!
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]

I'm still dreaming of a pair of adventure pegs and a saddle renovation, but the circumstances make me choose between a new saddle and feeding my family. For me it was a clear decision, but missus disagreed, so I think I'll have to manage with the old seat for a few more yrs. Ü

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 2:20 pm 

The previous owner had the ride height lowered in some point by dropping the front about 10mm. I revisited it by sliding the fork down the same 10mm. I changed the oil in the fork. The bike Shop guy recommended to put thicker stuff innit to control the dive in braking a bit more. I don't remember the numbers now, but I also changed the air gap a bit. And found progressive Springs!

Missus was right telling me not to buy the Yamaha! Ü

I'll be overhauling the fork in some point, replacing every worn bit, and I'm dreaming of intiminators (is that even a word?!?), but that's not now.

Checked the brakes and added braided hoses and the saddle-adapter for the bigger disk on my list. Oh, cleaned and greased the speedo cable and -gear. Used Stihl bruschcutter gear grease down there. Should work! Ü

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 2:35 pm 

I tried to get a hold on these Romanian (?) heavy duty crash bars, but they told me they don't sell outside europe (!). A couple of mths later they emailed back to me saying they were on holidays and now they can sell me anything. That was a bit weird.

Anyway, 'cause I couldn't buy their products I bought some other's. From the German eBay. I think it took a week for them to arrive.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
SW Motech crash bars and Givi pannier racks. Both were fast and easy to fit! The heat shield came with the bike.

I also fitted a pair of Acerbis wrist brakers I bought from trademe. Cut the original wind deflectors in pieces and attached the pieces to the "new" finger guards.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
Sorry for the crappy pic!

PS. Two days after bolting in the crash bars, I'd already dropped the bike five times! Ü

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 3:06 pm 

Then this happened: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8135

Clutch died on me. Searched the best option for a week and ended up buying the parts from AU/UK/NL. Took two weeks for the parts to arrive. I had to use a car to go to places. That was rad!

Changed the rattling oil pump chain, as I was there anyway. What a difference - the engine is silent! Put it all back together with new oil/filter and on the road I was again. Superb! Seven discs and heavy duty springs, new cable and it feels so much lighter and precise. Not bad at all! Ü

I used exhaust goo when I was putting it back together and some of the popping, while engine braking, dissapeared. I still haven't cleaned and sync'd the carbs, but it's on my list! And while I'm there, I'm going to do the pilot-jet mod too. But that's another story.

Thank's for reading so far! Ü

Neppi

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 3:18 pm 

Forgot to mention that this forum has been a BIG help in all of this! Thanks guys!

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 7:24 pm 

One of the things on my list has been repacking the head bearing (do you even call it that?!? You know, the steering bearing.). I've never had a problem with that with my previous bikes, so my diagnostics have been quite random. Sometimes at a slow speed, like when Ur slowing down to a red light, there's been an odd feeling of something weird in the steering, but it has always disappeared right away, so no confirmation for my doubts. And I was going to repack it anyway soon... (Yeah, right!).

So came the day when I needed to take the bike to the Warrant Of Fitness, inspection, TÜV for the Germans. And behold, the only thing that caught their attention was a shot headset, I mean steering bearing. They had the part there at the shop, and time, so instead of $35 w.o.f. I got myself a new bike for just $280! I mean, it is a differend bike now! Goes straight and is easy to corner at any speed.

If you haven't done yours, do it now! Ü

Neppi

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 2:00 am 

I finally got the chain & sprockets changed yesterday. One tooth bigger at the front, rear as original. Took it for a 250km test ride. Tomorrow back home. Feels good.

I'm riding solo, but with panniers and top box full of chit. Seems to do the job...

First time I ever changed a chain on a motobike (Had shafts before, and I miss it!). When I bought the parts and stuff for the clutch-job, I also bought a chain tool kit. Good purchase! I think I paid around $80 for the tool whereas the bikeshop asked for $150 for the job. Anyone need their chains changed? Ü

N

PostPosted: October 7th, 2016, 1:52 am 

Ok. Did the trip. Was good! The revs dropped, say 500rpm and the bike feels somehow smoother with the new sprockets. Riding 80km/h, I had to change gear on a couple of the craziest uphills, but that's acceptable. I mean, that's one of the reasons they put the gear lever there in the first place! Ü

I need t do the pilot jet mod in some point, but man, gotta love this bike!

The instrument lights (does anyone call 'em that anymore?) started playing up. I had a disco there! Or a blackout. Have to pull it apart and see what's going on. My LED's are done already?!?

Neppi

PostPosted: October 7th, 2016, 2:13 am 

Check your wiring harness around the headstock. It's over 20 years old and could he starting to fray or work harden the wires. Also, electronics don't like vibration, which V twins make a lot of, so your LEDs may be failing already.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2017, 3:57 am 

Changed the oil today. Also serviced the battery and the air- and fuel filters. Next plan is to lube the cables and service the brake saddles - the front one feels like it's not too smooth anymore. Cleaning the chain is also on the list.

Other than that, I've been just riding the thing and enjoying it like no tomorrow!

We're planning an overnight trip with one of my daughters. I even bought a small-ish tent for that! I had to leave all of my sweet camping gear back to Finland when we left the country and now I've been trying to get a new kit down here. It's just that they're selling a lot of bullsh*t here with a crazy price and explaining that "it's pricey 'cause everything needs to be shipped here". That doesn't, by any means explain the poor quality of the stuff they're selling.

Ooops, sorry!

Neppi

PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 2:01 am 

Today I was lazy. Still got something done. I put the battery and airfilter back where they belong and cleaned / greased the chain. Then I got a bit carried away and manufactured brackets for lifting the front fender for 5cm / 2". I never wanted a high fender, but always thought about lifting the original one for a bit. Now it´s done. I tried to attach some pics, but this is all I was allowed to...
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 1755 times ]

Didn´t get to greasing the cables, but it´s on my list. As are the still-missing dash lights...

And I didn´t get to the front brake caliber either. But atleast I´ve got a raised fender. Ü

neppi

Edit: pic attached. I Checked the front brakes. It's the master cylinder / handle that's causing it too feel weird. I think some TLC will fix it.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 7:30 pm 

Finally got it to work. This is how it looks like:
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 1755 times ]

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 10:09 am 

neppi wrote:
Finally got it to work. This is how it looks like:
Attachment:
image.jpeg

That looks good, no more fear of mud eating up the front fender! Might be a good idea lengthening the fender at the engine side. Cheers, Wim

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 2:44 pm 

Fender extension is on my list, not on the top of it thou... Ü

At the moment I'm working on the top box and panniers. Updates and upgrades. Try to remember to take pics again.

N

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 3:38 am 

neppi wrote:
Try to remember to take pics again.
"Like hell!". I cannot have a camera near me, when I´m doing something. Just doesn´t work.

Just did an overnight camping trip, with my 9yr old daughter. Full camping gear (actually way to much, for we dropped by at Auckland to collect some of my Trademe buys) and two on on these crazy Kiwi serpentine roads. Beatiful lanscapes, peg scraping corners (well atleast propably for some sport bike leatherman), a couple of river crossings and 12km´s of gravel. Sleeping in a tent and eating Pocket Rocket food. So good!

I´m missing my ultralight, hard core outdoor equipment in Finland, but I think I´ll need bigger panniers (or some serious rigging!) anyway.

But we had so much fun and everything worked like charm!

This year I´m taking each kid (6! 3/3) for an overnight/weekend trip on the bike to places. This was the first one and the place we found with her was so amazing, that I think I´ll take the rest of them there too.

I was supposed to take heaps of pics, but the bike´s USB port wouldn´t wanna co-operate, so I didn´t have a working phone on me. Maybe next time...

Cheers!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 8:36 pm 

Finally got my head around changing the brake fluids.

Sucked the reservoir empty, filled it with new fluid and let it drain thru the bleed nipple as long as fresh new fluid started dripping out. Kept the reservoir full and started bleeding using the standard procedure, but kept on going and going, rinsing the system throughly.

Repeated the same procedure at the back.

After one day riding (in the pouring rain), city and country roads, it seems like the front brake problems I mentioned before are now gone. The front brake works now like a Buick (We say that in finnish!). No more weirdness or gripping.

I´m going to get some stainless brake hoses in some point and will do this whole thing again. Also the Hawk rotor mode is on my list...

BUT, another issue occured. The rear shock started to feel soft and bouncy. Öhlins. If the adjustment is twisted to the other end, it feels low, soft and bouncy - on the other end it feels higher, soft and bouncy.

What are my options?
- Get a new one? (NO!)
- Get a new one from some of the competitors? (What, from where?)
- Get this one somehow fixed? (How?)
- Other? (What?)

I´m also planning on changing to AT rear fork. What else do I need than just the fork? I know there´s a lot of writing about this stuff, but this is my topic and I can write here whatever I want, right? Ü

Thanks!

Cheers!

neppi

PostPosted: March 11th, 2017, 10:18 am 

I think if you are using AT 650 parts you should be all set. They are hard to find so I've used AT750 parts with some modifications.

using AT750 Parts

I've always changed to the AT swing arm (Rear Fork) on early drum brake model TAs. I don't think your Brake caliper bracket will interchange so you will need an AT caliper, holder and axle. The AT uses a larger rear disc so you need either an AT hub or what I did was get a Disc from a 2010 Triumph Bonneville which bolts up to the TA hub and is the same diameter as the AT caliper. You will also need the bolt that connects the AT swing arm to the TA shock linkage. There are a few other little changes that need to be made, but I'll have to go look at my notes to remember them.

89 Transalp XL600V X3, 01 Goldwing GL1800, 99 Varadero XL1000V
05 CRF450X Plated, 01 XR650L, 84 Passport C70

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 3:29 am 

Neppi, do a search of suspension shops in Un Zud, as far as I know all Ohlins suspension is fully rebuildable. There should be plenty over there with the amount of racing they do.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 4:33 pm 

Thanks guys!

N

PS. I found about 670 (or maybe 5) shops that could do the shock rebuild. I think that was a good tip. Thanks! Ü

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 5:29 am 

Glad you had fun Neppi, and your daughter too.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:53 am 

No swingarms ordered yet and the rear shock rebuilt has to wait as well. I´ve just adjusted the spring and preload and kept going...

Just had an opportunity to go for an overnight ride with my oldest daughter.
Attachment:
IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG [ 693.62 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]
Picked up a random DOC campground at about three hours away and off we went. Half of the time we rode on a super beautiful coastal road and the other half on a sweeeeeet gravel track that took us over the hills and far away. So awesome landscapes and the camping spot was just phenomenal! Kiwi rainforest with a crazy river with crystal clear, turquoise water and sand bottom. No noise- or light pollution, just peace and freedom. Yep, no phone reception either. Ü

The bike worked like a charm. Even with the rear shock gerry rigged it handled well. Full gear and a pillion, although she´s 12 and weighs like a fairy...

On these weekend trips I´m also testing equipment for some longer trips and am also learning how to pack my gear the best possible way. My panniers are quite small and my tent is taking most of the space. I´ve already got a smaller tent, but it still needs some rigging to help me out of this. But for this setup I´d basicly add a few pairs of undies and food to keep me going for longer.

We didn´t take many pics, but I´ll try to remember to add the few we took in some point.

It was raining during the night and the morning so on the way back the bike started to look like it should! Ü

Last edited by neppi on June 5th, 2017, 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 7:09 am 

neppi wrote:
No swingarms ordered yet and the rear shock rebuilt has to wait as well. I´ve just adjusted the spring and preload and kept going...

Just had an opportunity to go for an overnight ride with my oldest daughter. Picked up a random DOC campground at about three hours away and off we went. Half of the time we rode on a super beautiful coastal road and the other half on a sweeeeeet gravel track that took us over the hills and far away. So awesome landscapes and the camping spot was just phenomenal! Kiwi rainforest with a crazy river with crystal clear, turquoise water and sand bottom. No noise- or light pollution, just peace and freedom. Yep, no phone reception either. Ü

The bike worked like a charm. Even with the rear shock gerry rigged it handled well. Full gear and a pillion, although she´s 12 and weighs like a fairy...

On these weekend trips I´m also testing equipment for some longer trips and am also learning how to pack my gear the best possible way. My panniers are quite small and my tent is taking most of the space. I´ve already got a smaller tent, but it still needs some rigging to help me out of this. But for this setup I´d basicly add a few pairs of undies and food to keep me going for longer.

We didn´t take many pics, but I´ll try to remember to add the few we took in some point.

It was raining during the night and the morning so on the way back the bike started to look like it should! Ü

Sounds like you and your daughter enjoyed yourselves Neppi. That's what it's all about eh mate?

PostPosted: April 14th, 2017, 10:15 am 

I'm jealous of your camping trips! There aren't many places like that near where I live. I would have to ride real far to get to something like that. Sounds like everybody had a blast.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 6:02 am 

Cheers guys! It's an awesome country! Everybody says "you have to go to south island!", but I've been to Norway, all over the place, that I find north island way more exotic to me. Ü

But sure thing, I'm going to tour south island in some point.

I've found some serious gravel stuff from around here! Enough for me to explore for the rest of my days!

Why aren't you guys coming down here? Just asking...

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 6:12 am 

Oops. I think I just ordered a 650 AT swingarm and some other stuff. Still haven't got the rear shock rebuilt. I think I'll ride it until it dies (or the "new" swingarm arrives).

Is there somewhere on this forum instructions about adding grease nipples to the rear links? I'm a big fan of greased nipples. Ü

Is the speedo drive the same with ml and km clocks? I finally got my hands on a km speedo...

He is risen!

Neppi

PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 2:16 am 

There has been an annoying rattle coming from somewhere on the right hand side of the bike. Not related to the revs or wether the clutch is pulled or not. I finally could locate the noise to the rear brake saddle. Very difficult to diagnose when your always on the bike when it appears. Ü

So my pins and bolts are all worn. Brake pads mounting holes are way bigger than from the factory and the pin that goes thru them has some serious grooves in it. Also the places where the other ends of the brake pads meet the saddle (pic?) are worn. As a first aid, I greased everything and put a lenght of heat shrink tube on the pin. That made it a tad quieter.

When I ordered the swingarm I also ordered a 650 AT brake saddle to go with it. Is the saddle same as in TA? I´m going to rebuild it anyway before putting it on the bike.

Cheers!

neppi

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm 

I´ve been looking for this post I saw about a yr ago, about this one guy putting a GS screen on a Transalp. Now I finally found it. Not the "how to" -post I saw back then, but a "show us Ur Transalp" -post. This is something I would like to do!

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/82119-show-us-your-transalp-28.html#post1038042

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2017, 1:35 am 

Ooops, the parts arrived. AT650 swing arm in good nick, the link and the swingarm bolt too. Brake saddle and the mounting bracket from the same machine, and an aluminium handle bar from the same bike, but is it original? Isn´t the original similar steel pipe as TA´s?

AND a Transalp Km speedo! Love it (even if it´s not even out of the box yet!).

Once I get the old parts off the bike I´ll send the rear shock out for a renovation and start whacking the new old bits on. Whoop Whoop!

Pictures? No pictures.

Got them from here: http://timoto.com/

Neppi

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2017, 1:10 am 

Old swingarm removed with no surprises.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 3:43 pm 

Oh man! I´m so bad with this! And it´s boring to read a topic that hasn´t got too many pics in it...

The old swingarm was "clean" with no surprises, rust, or I don´t know, bends or anything. The bearings feel ok and seals are still as they should, no hardening or rips nor anything. I think I´m the lucky one with no bad Previous Owner -stories. As a matter of fact quite the opposite!

I cleaned the new swingarm (Baby Wipes of course!) and removed all the bits ´n pieces from it. I was planning to replace the bearings, but for my surprise, these were all ok aswell, so I ended up repacking them with good quality grease and leaving them there for the next bazzilion miles. Same thing with the other connecting rods/thingies. Super nice bearings with soft dust seals. Some people maintain their bikes by the book!

I mounted the thing on the bike and am now waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive to Finnish (pun) the job.

I´m always trying to update/upgrade the parts I´m working on and I thought that if I have to drop down the swingarm, I might aswell service everything included. The first parcel from Wemoto arrived today. It´s got rear wheel bearings, HH brake pads, rebuild kits for both of the rear brake cylinders and what else? Cannot remember... So while waiting for the rest of the swingarm related stuff to arrive, I´ll be changing the wheel bearings and renovating the brakes and stuff.

Oh yes, I sent the Öhlins down to the workshop for some TLC!

I´m trying to remember to attach pictures in some point. I could earlier attach them straight from my phone, but now for some reason, it says they´re too big.

If you read so far, you´re The Man!

Cheers!

neppi

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 5:32 pm 

Shock´s here (been a couple of weeks), last bits are here, I just haven´t had time for putting the bike back together.

For my surprise, I found all the needle bearings in the swingarm assembly in really good nick and not one of those "previous owner" mess´ we often can read about. So I gave them a bit of a clean up and repacked them.

I also cleaned and rebuilt (with new parts of course!) the rear brake´s master cylinder. New, braided brake hose will arrive next week.

Todays problem will be pulling apart, cleaning and rebuilding the "new" AT brake cylinder. It seems it shares the same innyrds as the Transalp one I´ve got, so I´m actually pulling apart two cylinders and cleaning and rebuilding one with combined parts.

Oh, I also had all the bolts and nuts and bits and pieces soaking in vinegar for quite a while. Pulled them out yesterday and now they´re totally rust free and are going back with a bit of a touch up paint on them...

I even took pictures, but this thing says they´re too big again. Have you reduced the allowed size, or has my phone just started taking bigger shots?

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 6:11 pm 

neppi wrote:
Shock´s here (been a couple of weeks), last bits are here, I just haven´t had time for putting the bike back together.

For my surprise, I found all the needle bearings in the swingarm assembly in really good nick and not one of those "previous owner" mess´ we often can read about. So I gave them a bit of a clean up and repacked them.

I also cleaned and rebuilt (with new parts of course!) the rear brake´s master cylinder. New, braided brake hose will arrive next week.

Todays problem will be pulling apart, cleaning and rebuilding the "new" AT brake cylinder. It seems it shares the same innyrds as the Transalp one I´ve got, so I´m actually pulling apart two cylinders and cleaning and rebuilding one with combined parts.

Oh, I also had all the bolts and nuts and bits and pieces soaking in vinegar for quite a while. Pulled them out yesterday and now they´re totally rust free and are going back with a bit of a touch up paint on them...

I even took pictures, but this thing says they´re too big again. Have you reduced the allowed size, or has my phone just started taking bigger shots?

Keep up the good work Neppi.
I tend to load all my pics for forums to imageshack (or photobucket etc) through my PC, as I have no control of the size of the upload from my tablet and I find that the pics come up 2 or 3 times the post window size on at least one other bike forum that I frequent, even though it lallows the pics to be added. It's time consuming but the pic size 600x800 is well suited to this size post window.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 3:58 pm 

Man, It's been so long again! Long and slow process. Too bad.

But it's getting back together again, actually almost done.

- Swing arm swapped with all the bearings repacked and shock rebuilt.
- Rear brakes fully overhauled with new innyrds, stainless braided brake hose and new pads.
- Rear wheel bearing & seals new.
- New chain / slider

I even took photos again, but they're too big. Again.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 1:55 am 

- Now that I was there I also pulled out the brake pedal and replaced it with a "new" one. When I bought the suspension links and rear axle (fleabay) I asked the guy if he had an AT brake pedal and told him to send it aswell IF it only had the pivoting thingie in the other end. Well, it didn´t pivot, but he sent it anyway. I liked the shape of it better and the axle was a bit less worn, so I swapped it. The "new" one also had better seals, so after cleaning, in they went. It was still a bit wobbly, so I pulled it out again, greased it heavily and added another O-ring to the other side of the shaft. It´s not super tight, but way better!
- Swapped the gear lever to an AT pivoting one. I had to grind a wee bit off the edge of the bash guard to make it go to the first gear.
- Pulled the tank out to get it on it´s side to mock around with the fuel petcock. Cleaned the in-tank -filter (not that there was much to clean), changed the rubbers and spring and cleaned the fuel filter aswell, nothing there either...
- Put a new rear cyl-fuel tap -vacuum hose in.
- Replaced the choke cables and found out why the choke felt like it was stuck. It was stuck! I´ve earlier cleaned the carburetor end of the cables, the pistons that go into the carb and I had to clean the right one again. Full of crap. Someone had changed the left end of the cable (the brass bend, spring and the piston) in some point, but the right one was really bad. The brass bend was full of rust flakes and shite and the cable end was stuck in it. The cable was also seized to both, the brass bend and the cable end. The right cable was also stuck where the single cable coming from the choke lever meets the twin cable going to the carbs. Wonder why it didn´t work... I had in some point bought a new choke cable and it looked differend. Googled the part# (orig Honda) and found out it was for an 89 model. Length and ends were the same, the only difference was that the new one had an adjustment right next to the lever. Whacked it in. Did some vinegar/crc magikkk to the right side bits´n bobs and in they went aswell (I´m still ordering new ones asap). Choke has never felt so good!
- Oh, I pulled the side stand switch out and apart and cleaned it. And while I was at it, I also took the side stand out. Cleaned and greased it, squeezed it a bit tighter and made a bushing to the axle bolt for a tighter fit. Still need to lenghten it in some point...
- Swapped the speedo for a KM one.
- and stuff

I still need to make spacers and add a bit oil to the front fork and get the ride level / preload right. And a new battery!

PostPosted: July 14th, 2017, 1:01 am 

Took it for a 40km spin around the city. I had to bump start it when I left, even thou I'd just serviced the battery with topping up the water and fully charging it. During the day I had to bump start it a few more times. I had the Warrent Of Fitness done and while I was already in the Shop anyway, I bought a new Motobatt AGM. The price was good and I like to support those small independent shops with nice chatty staff and real customer service anyway!

Got the WOF done with flying numbers and after that, with the new battery in the top box, it started quite all right the rest of the day! Ü

Feels so good to be on that bike again! My "a couple of days job" took me almost three months! Phew.

Neppi

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 3:12 am 

With the new battery the thing starts without even pushing the button! Just have to think about starting and it's runnin'!

I'm trying to figure out the rear suspension settings and took her for a long and windind road. It's totally differend bike now!

I blew the head light bulb somewhere on the way, luckily after the WOF, but the side LEDs and the parking light LED (that you guys in the States don't have) brought me home even if the sun was already down.

The best bike ever made!

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 5:37 am 

Today it was more testing two up and the bike's handling better day by day! At the end of the day I sneaked out to the garage and added some more oil to the front fork and I also put some longer spacers in the same tubes. I couldn't test it today anymore, but it feels better just to sit on, so I think this might even work!

Neppi

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 6:35 am 

Quote:
I blew the head light bulb somewhere on the way, luckily after the WOF, but the side LEDs and the parking light LED (that you guys in the States don't have) brought me home even if the sun was already down.

Didn't you have a High Beam? (Or Low Beam)

89 Transalp XL600V X3, 01 Goldwing GL1800, 99 Varadero XL1000V
05 CRF450X Plated, 01 XR650L, 84 Passport C70

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:27 pm 

Glad to ar that you've had a win. How much did the rear shock rebuild cost you neppi?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 5:53 am 

I lost both, low/high beam both at once, which was a sign of something else being the problem, not the bulp, but gave me an excuse to get me a better H4. Ü

I reckon the rearshock rebuilt was something like $230nz or so. It was worth every penny!

I did some more riding today and with the lifted front and more oil innit, the bike seems to be more balanced.

Next project with the bike will be getting an AT650 front end and spend some money on that one aswell.

Cheers!

Neppi

PostPosted: July 21st, 2017, 5:23 am 

Both at once. Wow! Most unusual for that to happen.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2017, 2:25 pm 

Yup! But like said, it was a bad earth / contact. It gave an excuse to buy a better bulb and now I can actually see something! Ü

And yes! The bike's soooo much better now! There's this road, just around the corner, where's heaps of differend kinds of Speed bumps. That's my test track. And no, I'm not speeding! Now with the tweaked suspension it actually starts being tempting to speed on that road, whereas before this all I actually wanted to slow down on those. So I think somethin's gone right!

Neppi

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 2:42 am 

Today I did around 400kms with two differend pillions on some of our sweetest twisties around the area. So good!

Last night I attached my "tool tube" to the pannier rack and also put the windshield back. I also made some epic spacers between the seat and the frame. While doing that I found out that the seat has been doctored in some point. It looks like it's been lowered / shaved. One more thing to be added to my always growing todo list...

Should I add some pics?

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 1:33 am 

neppi wrote:
Should I add some pics?

What a question! Of course!

Having explored NZ by campervan I envy you being able to explore it by bike. Enjoy!