www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently January 17th, 2018, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 10:58 am 

Eariler this month, I flew to Denver, bought a 89 Transalp off of craigslist, and proceeded to do a 4,332 mile road trip across the USA over 2 weeks. After all that riding there is a lot I learned about the bike, and a lot that I would like to modify or change before I embark on a trip down the Baja peninsula in 6 weeks. I have done a fair amount of research, but wanted to cut through all the clutter and ask the community for adivce before I start wasting time and money on modifications.

A bit about the bike first: It is a American Spec 1989 TA 600. 25,000 miles. Single disk front fork, with Drum rear.

Things I want to add:

Engine and radiator guards.
When I bought the bike they body work was flawless, the previous owner had taken very good care of it. However, a week into owning I was in Yellowstone hiking and came back to find the bike on its side at the entrance to the trail. I was told by some people that saw what happened, that a tour bus backed into it and then speed off.... As a result the side fairing cracked in 2 places and there is a bit of road rash, nothing bad, but I want to protect the bike for further damage.

Rear Side panniers
The bike came with soft bags and a rear hard case, but I would like to put hard bags on the side. Anyone have links to a set of racks / mounts.

Touring Windscreen
I am 6' 1" tall and the stock windscreen send all the wind directly to my neck right underneath my helmet.

Front fork / brakes
All around the brakes on this bike are week. The front fork dives badly under even light braking and from what I have read, this is a common problem. I was wondering if Euro spec, or later year 650 forks with twin disks would be a direct bolt up to my TA. Also any progressive shock or adjustable valves that would correct the diving problem.

Rear Brake
The rear brake is almost non existant and probably original. Since it needs replace anyway, I was wondering if the swing arm and disk setup from a later model alp would fit on to my 600.

Also, if there are any other modifications that you would suggest, I would love to hear them. I will be doing Baja with a passenger and all our gear, so a rear shock might need to be adjusted as well.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 12:32 pm 

This all depends on how involved you want to get. The forks can go anywhere from inserts to XR650L forks to CRF450X forks. You later model 600 swingarm and rear disc will pretty much bolt right into the early drum brake models except for the Master Cylinder mount which needs to be manufactured and welded on to the frame. With a little more work you can use the aluminum swingarm from an Africa Twin. Most of the parts are still available at least used.

Attachments:
IMG_20140522_110409.jpg
IMG_20140522_110409.jpg [ 644.42 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]
0125161228a.jpg
0125161228a.jpg [ 480.49 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

89 Transalp XL600V X3, 01 Goldwing GL1800, 99 Varadero XL1000V
05 CRF450X Plated, 01 XR650L, 84 Passport C70

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 2:46 pm 

Nice. Now then, where are y'all from?

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2016, 7:36 pm 

Not complete but a start

Brett! wrote:
Givi http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-tn363-crashbars-engine-guards-honda-xl600v-transalp-89-93

Brett! wrote:
Rear Side panniers
Happy-trails http://www.happy-trail.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=xl600v
Givi at time had the Wingrack for the TA but I don't see it listed on their site.

Brett! wrote:
Touring Windscreen
Givi (and others) http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-windscreen-honda-xl600v-transalp-89-93

Brett! wrote:
Front fork / brakes
Simple upgrade to larger rotor: viewtopic.php?p=27024#p27024

Brett! wrote:
Rear Brake
Did you try adjusting it. I would hope the hub is not worn out with that low mileage.

Brett! wrote:
Also, if there are any other modifications that you would suggest, I would love to hear them. I will be doing Baja with a passenger and all our gear, so a rear shock might need to be adjusted as well.
Perhaps an aluminum skid plate? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-aluminum-engine-guard-skidplate-honda-xl600v-transalp

Get a spare CDI to carry with you.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2017, 2:51 pm 

Brett! wrote:

Eariler this month, I flew to Denver, bought a 89 Transalp off of craigslist, and proceeded to do a 4,332 mile road trip across the USA over 2 weeks. After all that riding there is a lot I learned about the bike, and a lot that I would like to modify or change before I embark on a trip down the Baja peninsula in 6 weeks. I have done a fair amount of research, but wanted to cut through all the clutter and ask the community for adivce before I start wasting time and money on modifications.

A bit about the bike first: It is a American Spec 1989 TA 600. 25,000 miles. Single disk front fork, with Drum rear.

Things I want to add:

When I bought the bike they body work was flawless, the previous owner had taken very good care of it. However, a week into owning I was in Yellowstone hiking and came back to find the bike on its side at the entrance to the trail. I was told by some people that saw what happened, that a tour bus backed into it and then speed off.... As a result the side fairing cracked in 2 places and there is a bit of road rash, nothing bad, but I want to protect the bike for further damage.

Rear Side panniers
The bike came with soft bags and a rear hard case, but I would like to put hard bags on the side. Anyone have links to a set of racks / mounts.

Touring Windscreen
I am 6' 1" tall and the stock windscreen send all the wind directly to my neck right underneath my helmet.

Front fork / brakes
All around the brakes on this bike are week. The front fork dives badly under even light braking and from what I have read, this is a common problem. I was wondering if Euro spec, or later year 650 forks with twin disks would be a direct bolt up to my TA. Also any progressive shock or adjustable valves that would correct the diving problem.

Rear Brake
The rear brake is almost non existant and probably original. Since it needs replace anyway, I was wondering if the swing arm and disk setup from a later model alp would fit on to my 600.

I would suggest a heavy duty aluminum skid plate.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 2:51 pm 

Just put a set of MoskoMoto soft bags on some Happy Trail racks and since you already have a top box I would consider these over the hard bags (ankle breakers). I have both hard bags and soft bags but these have the best of both worlds!

89' Honda T/A, 14' KTM 1190, 03' KTM 450, 05' BMW KLT, 67' Triumph, 75' Norton Commando, 65' Honda CB160, 70' Honda CB350, 70' Honda SL175, 72' Honda SL100, 01' Yamaha YZ426, 93' Honda XR200, 87' Yamaha TW200