www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently January 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: all season riders
PostPosted: November 27th, 2016, 4:55 am 

A question for the all-seaons-riders:
How do you prepare your bike for the cold months?

I admit, that I don´love ice and snow riding. Usually I try not to be out on the bike when the conditions are really bad, but nonetheless I spent a lot of time on my motorcycle at low temperatures because I´m an addict and I live „car free“.

My modifications for the cold season are:
- winter tires (K60 M+S Silica (SiO2)) – I bought them last year by chance and they turned out be good. The rubber is really soft. Thereby I put new SiO2-K60 on just these days.

- heated grips + handlebar muffs- The muffs look horrible, but in combination with the heated grips they are a real pleasure. Much warmer fingers than with standard hand protections. You get the best results if you ride with semi-warm gloves since that allows much more temperatur transfer on the inner side of your hands and the outer side is wind protected by the muffs.

So again the question: How do you prepare your bike for the cold season?

Cheers

Panny

Post subject: Re: all season riders
PostPosted: November 27th, 2016, 2:58 pm 

Well, nowadays I take my TransAlp and go to Texas for the worst of the winter!

Used to freeze my ass off when I was <ahem> younger. Like your tire, heated grips, etc choices. You use heated gear too...right?

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: November 27th, 2016, 5:31 pm 

Heated gear why? oops sorry I'm from sunny California

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 4:40 am 

ymracing wrote:

That seems to be the smartest solution. Next winter we will spent in Portugal, Spain and Morocco - temperatures over there are not perfect for camping, but at least better then over here.

ymracing wrote:
You use heated gear too...right?

Not yet. Quite often when I´m cold on the bike I think about it and as soon as I´m at home I delay the decision...

Cheers

Frank

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 3:35 pm 

Panny wrote:
ymracing wrote:

That seems to be the smartest solution. Next winter we will spent in Portugal, Spain and Morocco - temperatures over there are not perfect for camping, but at least better then over here.

ymracing wrote:
You use heated gear too...right?

Not yet. Quite often when I´m cold on the bike I think about it and as soon as I´m at home I delay the decision...

Cheers

Frank

Newspaper has been a good insulator for me in the past, stuff some in your jacket.
In the summer I'd wear a sweatshirt under my leather jacket, stop every once in a while and soak it in water...if there was an ice machine nearby, put it in there while I was enjoying a cold water or soda. Next few miles will be freezing....Oops reminiscing about the wrong season.

AHRMA, CCS #72
'89 TA, 06 Ducati Sport 1000 Bella Boomer the race bike, '76 XS650 Farrah the race bike, '76 RD400 Evil Spawn the race bike, '97 Buell T-Bolt S2, ('97 Dyna-Conv RIP 8 June 2017, the bike my son was riding), '06 KLR 650 off road hooligan, and a '79 GS1000E (sold 25 March 2017 after 30 years of ownership), but ride the TA the most miles!

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 11:07 pm 

ymracing wrote:
Newspaper has been a good insulator for me in the past, stuff some in your jacket.

Unfortunately there´s not enough space left because of some "developments" :-(

Cheers

Frank

PostPosted: November 29th, 2016, 7:23 am 

Hi!

Wintertyres with rally car spikes. Low pressure (1,3-1,5 bar) for good grip.
Sheepskin under my butt, and power outlet for heated socks and visor.
Heated grips and handlebar muffs. 5W-30 oil and -42c coolant in the motor.
Some protection in front of cooler that motor wont run too cold.

Attachments:
File comment: Sheepskin and power outlets.
satula (800x450).jpg
satula (800x450).jpg [ 201.97 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]
File comment: Mitas tyres with rally car spikes (3-5 mm)
renkaat (800x800).jpg
renkaat (800x800).jpg [ 293.16 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

PostPosted: November 30th, 2016, 3:34 am 

I live north of the Tropic of Capricorn in North Queensland, Australia. My preparation for winter is to dig out my warm gear. It never gets cold enough here to need even handlebar muffs, and it was onlynin the last few years that I found out they exist. No snow, no ice (except in the freezer) around here.
If I ever go to our colder regions in winter I'll come looking at this thread for suggestions.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2016, 11:49 pm 

Jackflash wrote:
I live north of the Tropic of Capricorn in North Queensland, Australia. My preparation for winter is to dig out my warm gear. It never gets cold enough here to need even handlebar muffs, and it was onlynin the last few years that I found out they exist. No snow, no ice (except in the freezer) around here.
If I ever go to our colder regions in winter I'll come looking at this thread for suggestions.

Hi Jackflash,

we´ve been to your area on our Around-the-World-trip. It was June/July ( = winter in Down Under) and I remember it as warm as a summer day in Germany or GB might be. So I can understand, that you don´t need muffs down there :-)

By the way: We´ve even been to Mackay, where we visited some motorcycle traveller friends. I remember the area as maize, maize and even more maize.

Cheers

Panny

PostPosted: December 1st, 2016, 1:41 am 

I had those Heidenau's on my former NX250, they were great! The TA has Micheling T63 and those will have to do this winter since I can't afford new tires atm. I do use muffs when it gets really cold, and further I just am a warm guy, it's rare for me to feel cold.
Our weather conditions are about the same as Frank's, I live under 100km from him just across the border from Aachen :-) You guys get a bit more snow and a tad colder if I'm correct.

One question: does a '89 have a thermostat for the coolingsystem or should I cover the radiators or is this a non-issue?

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 5:58 am 

Panny wrote:
Jackflash wrote:

Hi Jackflash,

we´ve been to your area on our Around-the-World-trip. It was June/July ( = winter in Down Under) and I remember it as warm as a summer day in Germany or GB might be. So I can understand, that you don´t need muffs down there :-)

By the way: We´ve even been to Mackay, where we visited some motorcycle traveller friends. I remember the area as maize, maize and even more maize.

Cheers

Panny

That would be sugar cane, sugar cane and more sugar cane! That's what all the green grassy looking crops around here are. They are getting towards the end of the harvest now, though look like going into the new year for the first time since I was a child probably.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 8:29 am 

Jackflash wrote:
That would be sugar cane, sugar cane and more sugar cane! That's what all the green grassy looking crops around here are. They are getting towards the end of the harvest now, though look like going into the new year for the first time since I was a child probably.

Probably I mixed that up.

Cheers

Panny