www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently January 17th, 2018, 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help re breather pipes
PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 7:20 am 

I have recently aquired a 2001 650 trans alp and need advice on the correct routing of some rubber breather pipes

1) the small bore pipe that comes from the carbs and then has a tee in it.One of the pipes is clipped onto the outside of the tool box under the left side panel ,the other end is just floating in the air.Is this corrct.

2)there are two hoses that are under the left side of the frame under the petrol tank currently not attached to anything.I assume these are the tank breather and overflow pipes but they are both of a large bore (1/4" maybe) the stubs on the tank fit one of them but the other stub on the right side of the tank is smaller may be the pipe is not original or is there another connection somewhere.
I cannot see a small bore hose anywhere

3) there is another pipe clipped to the left side of the tool box where does this go/what is it for

sorry for questions but the microfische only state pipe with no description of what they are for

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 8:41 am 

My '03 has a vacuum hose from one cylinder intake nozzle that opens the fuel tap. The one on the other cylinder operates a tap that allows the airbox to breathe from the tappet covers.
The 2 hoses from under the fuel tank are the cap recess drain and the tank breather if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 9:10 am 

thanks Jack.I think I have it sorted now ,it looks like the 2 larger hoses were for the tank breather and the air box drian (I traced it and found a non return valve on the bottom end of it).The other small one should have fitted on the tank overflow spigot.
It looks like someone removed the tank and maybe the air box and didnt put them back.
The worrying thing was I checked the radiator while the tank was off and had to top up about 3/4 litre of antifreeze.I will need to keep an eye on it in the next few miles.No signs of leaks, ran the bike on the stand for about 15 minutes ,only a little escaped from the overflow on the expansion tank as it was over full but nothing anywhere else,temp rose to about 1/2-3/4 on the gauge.
the fan operated when the sensor wire was grounded so thats ok.dont know about the sensor as it didnt get hot enough to kick in

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 5:05 am 

I usually burp my cooling system by squeezing the big hose on the water pump before I restart it. The temperature gauge on mine has only ever got above half and hot enough to turn the fan on, while riding on a hot day at low speed on sandy gravel roads, it doesn't usually operate even on hot days in slow traffic.