www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: August 30th, 2011, 1:47 pm 

Ever wake up in the middle of the night while camping and find you have slid off of your mattress/sleeping pad and your rear end is on the hard ground? Sure you have. I'm not the only one I'm pretty sure. My last mattress was semi-self inflating. it was OK, but I slid off of it all night long usually and it never was that comfortable - at the end of a camping trip a couple of years ago I donated it to the landfill.

So far the best sleeping system I have found is the big agnes. Those of you that own them I'm sure will chime in.The sleeping bag is designed with a built in sleeve that the Big Agnes air mattress slides into and keeps one from finding themselves on the ground in the middle of the night. The mattress is insulated on one side as there is no loft on the mattress side so when it is cold you keep the insulated side of the mattress towards the bag. If you are in a hot climate you flip the mattress and the insulated side deflects the heat from the ground keeping you cooler in theory.

Don't know, I'm a mountain camper, but it is the best i have found to date. I'm sure there other great options, this just happens to be the best system I've found to date. The good news is that you can actually pick up this system for about 160.00 - not bad! Went camping with the wife last year and let her use my Big Agnes while i cobbled something together for the weekend - she was sold, I was miserable and she is now the proud owner of her own Big Agnes. BTW - REI has the mattresses on sale for 25% off which is a good deal! Full Throttle camping also carries the whole line. Saw them at a number of bike runs for a few years before I pulled the trigger. It has been a good decision. Hope this helps anyone that is struggling with their current setup. Oh yeah, get the pillow too! works great.

mike

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I slide off my Therma-Rest
All the time :)
:)
Russ

Disclaimer: The information contained herein is based on sources I believe reliable, or I just made up, so its accuracy is not guaranteed.  Commentary by "Russ Grover." expresses his opinion and not those of "Honda Motor Company".   There is No Warranty for any advice or Opinion given by Anyone on this forum. (Note: This Disclaimer can change at any Moment.)

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 10:14 pm 

i'm sure you probably got some good dough wrapped up in the thermarest russ but you will NEVER slide off of the big agnes. 2.5 inches of cushion works well. sounds like it, but i do not work for them. i just appreciate gear that makes my camping trips more comfortable. nothing worse than a night of unrestfull sleep. or no sleep at all. been there, done that. :cry:

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 12:27 am 

I use a mattress GRAND CANYON that is bought in a store LOUIS.DE. I like it. It is a small package, and it does not slide off.
I recently bought a tent in Russia. It is made for cyclists, so light and small package sizes (57cm x 15cm x 15cm) and a spacious
The tent will be tested this year :)

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 5:22 am 

Personally I have a 2 man tent, again it folds down small and weighs about 4Kg. Nice to have some space to put
all your gear in and possibly cook in the dry as well.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 9:33 pm 

Hi there all
My solution was to buy a inflatable mattress that fited my two man tent! anywhare you roll you're still on the mattress! QED
Some points to remember
1 Close the matteres valve tightly, other wise you wake up and maight as well have slept on the cold hard ground.
2 Make sure you've had enough so that the ground is soft before you go to sleep!
done both
tee hee hee
have a great time
regards
Derek

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 10:37 pm 
Deputy Admin

3 - carry a good puncture repair kit!

1990 Transalp XL600V - Gone but not Forgotten...
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Thanks, Scotty - Rest in Peace

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 2:46 pm 

Gave up on tents after a 2,500 mile round trip in Europe. Came home to Ireland and bought a DD jungle hammock with a separate tarp. Goes up in seconds and is very comport able.
Totally water proof and for colder seasons u can get an additional under blanket.

Attachments:
File comment: Not mine but same type.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 74.95 KiB | Viewed 1908 times ]

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 2:10 am 

Hi!
I want an air mattress for my home. Can someone suggest me from where I can buy?
Thanks.