www.TransAlp.org

This Site is Not Affiliated with Honda Corporation
It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shinko 705 tires
PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 9:20 am 

I have a 1989 Transalp and I would like to buy a set of Shinko 705 tires for it. I haven't found any that are
tube type . I talked to a sales guy at the Motorcycle Super store and he said all tires now are tubeless and I could
just put a tube in it . I'm not sure I believe what he said is true. Anyway, has anyone bought the 705 in tube type
and where ? An alternate question would be , has anyone used the 705 tubless with a tube in it and if you did how
did it work ?

Post subject: Re: Shinko 705 tires
PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 8:22 pm 

I've got a set of 705's with tubes in them about 4000 miles on them so far with no problems I really like the tires also

PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 8:40 pm 

I have the Shinko's on two TAs and don't have any issues but they have been there for just a month now. My understanding is that a tubeless tire (TL) can be mounted on a spoked rim with a tube but that you would not want to use a tube type tire (TT) on a tubeless rim since there could be issues with the bead.

Certainly like the price of them, I think four tires were less than $230 shipped

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 3:52 pm 
Deputy Admin

I think the salesperson @ MCsuperstore is full of s*it re his comment on all tires are now rated tubeless. That said, as stated by the gooseman, you can use either tube or tubeless rated tires on spoked rims but should only only tubeless on rims designed for tubeless as the bead design is different.

I have really liked the Shinko 705's on my TA for my style of riding. I'm not much of a peg-scraper but the tires have never done anything dicey in cornering as hard as I've pushed them and wet pavement doesn't seem to bother them. They're a little noisier than more street oriented tires and vibrate a little under hard braking but I can totally live with that. Off-Pavement, they have been great for me on Forest Service Roads and stable even on Gravel Roads at speeds up to 60mph. When things get muddy is where their Achilles Heel is found but what do you expect for a non-knobby tire? For the price, they are the best bargain out there in a Dual Sport/ADV Touring tire.

1990 Transalp XL600V - Gone but not Forgotten...
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Thanks, Scotty - Rest in Peace

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2017, 8:11 am 

sillygoose wrote:
I have the Shinko's on two TAs and don't have any issues but they have been there for just a month now. My understanding is that a tubeless tire (TL) can be mounted on a spoked rim with a tube but that you would not want to use a tube type tire (TT) on a tubeless rim since there could be issues with the bead.

Certainly like the price of them, I think four tires were less than $230 shipped

I went to school at SU, small world.
Sidon67